Search
Like Tree1Likes

modifying trigger for childs finger

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default modifying trigger for childs finger

My 8 year old son races nitro. He can pull the trigger fine but to use the brakes he has to put his finger behind the trigger and push it. I've tried putting fuel line on the trigger but it wasn't enough. I've also tried heating the trigger and bending it. Besides making an insert and gluing it in, does anyone have a good solution, or know of a smaller radio We went to the hobbyshop and tried a few other radios but none were any better, but they didn't have much of a selection. Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Fuel tubing works well
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

how about wrapping some dubro foam rubber around the brake portion and strapping it with tape or zip ties?
it is a rather dense material compared to basic foam
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

What radio is it? Airtronics can adjust the trigger to the left or right if your finger can't reach all the way around. Look for a similar angle adjustment. They come with the center insert in them and 2 spares so you wouldn't necessarily notice that at the LHC.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To the OP. You sir have described one of the secret tips that pros have been using for decades. You are also doing what you can, tubing,foam,bending etc... all are tried and true. If you can't get the grip comfortable and trigger functional it kills your driving. Surprising how few people consider it.
neospud, he is talking about having the finger touching both sides of the fingertip when driving. The gap that is between the fingernail and the trigger on the brake side is a delay and disconnection between your finger and the radio. With that gap eliminated the delay between your finger and the trigger is elimnated and control is increased.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asc6000
To the OP. You sir have described one of the secret tips that pros have been using for decades. You are also doing what you can, tubing,foam,bending etc... all are tried and true. If you can't get the grip comfortable and trigger functional it kills your driving. Surprising how few people consider it.
neospud, he is talking about having the finger touching both sides of the fingertip when driving. The gap that is between the fingernail and the trigger on the brake side is a delay and disconnection between your finger and the radio. With that gap eliminated the delay between your finger and the trigger is elimnated and control is increased.
orly? Where does it say the problem is a delay when moving from forward to reverse? I think the issue is that he can't reach the brake. Small hands. A smaller grip and moving the trigger toward your fingers should help reach the break.

As i said i can't speak for other radios but the MT-4 and the M12 come with smaller grips and trigger shims.

I also think you can adjust the neutral position of the trigger. If you move it more toward the grip you should be able to reach the brake easier. You'll have to re-calibrate your throttle.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

On my son's, wife's and my MT-4s, we use the clear parma servo tape stacked up on the inside to where it touches the back of our finger. Works very well.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Idid the same 4 a 8 year olds radio.. the LHS by me have nitro fuel line in many sizes from 1/2" down try getting a few pieces on by overlaying also try medical tube..They also make a foam hockey tape that works well also just a few layers thick..Or get a piece of UHMW and put it in oven heat to 325 degrees and mold that to brake side of trigger then trim with Dremel tool (when it turns clear its ready to work Use protective gloves so u dont BURN ur fingers..
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

On a couple of my radios(dx3r,dx2,and an oddball cen tx) i modified how the trigger assembly mounted in the radio. I angled it so the trigger would be closer to my finger at the end of the throw. All radios have the trigger running straight ,while your finger swings in an arc. I think i made a thread on my dx2 a couple of years ago. Pm me and i can email or text some pics.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A rubber grommet large enough for his finger held with a couple small cable ties to the trigger?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i was hunting for a charger one time and went by prc
they have something called sugru.
its a moldable rubber that dries. maybe mold it to your sons trigger and then place his finger in there to form it to shape then let it dry over night?

just a thought. never tried it but just remembered it

http://www.progressiverc.com/sugru.html

there is a video showing how strong it is at the bottom of the page
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neospud
orly? Where does it say the problem is a delay when moving from forward to reverse? I think the issue is that he can't reach the brake.
of course simply reaching the brake side of the trigger is a must, the delay I speak of is the time it takes your finger to make up that gap before the brakes take effect. Everyone should be doing it. Imagine if the steering had that gap from left to right ? no one would think that is ok, why it's accepted in the throttle boggles the mind.

Hmm, have you thought about getting one of those cheapo remotes from a toy grade car ? they are small and with luck have the neccassary electronic features.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Heres a link http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...igger-mod.html
i think the dx3e is one of the smaller radios out. my 4 year old boy doesnt do to bad with it.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the ideas. I see a few I like and will try them out.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used the soft side of a velcro (cut to size) piece, works great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.