Wiki Posts
Search

Rx battery trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Rx battery trouble.

Hi guys/gals,

I have a bit of a problem in trying to trouble shoot servos dying running in my friends Nitro Truggy.

My RC mate, He's running Futaba 4PL, Life Rx battery, charged at 6.6v 1.5amp.

He's a Futaba S9255 as streering servo, it had only ran one tank and the servo died, then I gave him a standard kyosho servo to try, and it also died, then.....another standard kyosho servo, it also died.

I have a few RC car buddy running 4PL and S9255 servos setups, but they don't use Life battery, they all use normal 4xAA, and they haven't had any problem with servos dying, just one of they had a weird low battery session and a standard kyosho servo died, might this be brown out that caused it to died?

Anyway, the problem is, could it be my mates Life battery be faulty? which caused 3 servos to die? If so, what could be the possible cause for it die? Not enough power from Rx battery? Too much power from Rx battery?

Did he charge it with too much power? so it spiked and burnt out all three servos? or was it running low on power and a brown out damaged his servos?

Please help.

regards,
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hate to say this, but your mate is a moron. That servo is rated for 4.8v max!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
I hate to say this, but your mate is a moron. That servo is rated for 4.8v max!!!
An...so that's why he kept killing servos, so basically his Rx battery is too powerful and it burnt out the servos,, correct ?

If so, would charging his Life battery up to 6v work? Just asking for advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

So the servo just seems to be the wrong choice.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s9255

It specifically says nicad batteries only. It is also a heli servo. Pick up something made for 8th scale nitro, as the torque on that is not enough for a truggy anyway. There are many other options listed all over. I personally am not a fan of Savox, but the 1267/1268 seem to be very common choices. No reason a LIFE pack should not work if you are using the proper servo.

Personally, I think if the battery was not kiling the servo, just the forces from the truggy turning was.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
So the servo just seems to be the wrong choice.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s9255

It specifically says nicad batteries only.
All Futaba servos say that. They havent updated their info on the older servos since Nimh were relatively new.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
All Futaba servos say that. They havent updated their info on the older servos since Nimh were relatively new.
Looking at that website and just clicking on random other Futaba servos, many 4.8V only, I do not see that on any of the others. It's definitely not all, but can't say if it is outdated. Either way, the servo is not intended for 8th scale truggy steering, nor the voltage being put into it.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Looking at that website and just clicking on random other Futaba servos, many 4.8V only, I do not see that on any of the others. It's definitely not all, but can't say if it is outdated. Either way, the servo is not intended for 8th scale truggy steering, nor the voltage being put into it.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, the servo is not designed for buggy/truggy, it's much or less given to a few of my mates to try, they aren't really track type people, just normal back street / car park bashing.

Just my concern are, if a Life battery putting out 6.6v to a 4.8v servo would ddefinitely fry them servos, if so, for example, can I charge the Life battery to a lower voltage and be done with it?

Would charging a Life battery to a lower voltage do much damage to the battery itself ?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Suspended

charging a life or A123 battery at a lower voltage will not work..min V for a single cell life is.2v..can be taken to 1v but not a good ides.. try a voltage reg ..easy build..
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are to use a life battery to power those particular servos, you need to run a voltage regulator (adjustable down to 4.8v) between the battery and receiver.