Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Motor ESCs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Castle Motor ESCs

I have been doing lots of reading on the mini & micros forum looking for a new motor for my MERV. The one thing I have been unable to work out is what is the difference between the MMP/NeuMotor combo and the Sidewinder/MeuMotor Combo. I know the MMP is the bigger ESC, but it seems be paired with the same motor. Why would they do that? If the Sidewinder can handle the motor, why upgrade to the MMP?

Cheers
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The mmp is castle's 1/10 race esc. The sidewinder is more of a sport/basher esc. Sidewinder comes without a fan and can only handle 3s. Mmp has a fan and can handle up to 6s. Pretty sure the mmp has more adjustability as well and can handle all motor types. Neither of those esc's will fit in a traxxas 1/16. I know because my mmp is way too big to fit in my traxxas 1/16 rally. You might look into a smaller esc like the mamba micro pro. I also don't get why you're looking for a new combo for your merv. The stock motor is insanely fast on just 2s, and on 3s it's a rocket. Switching to a faster motor doesn't make much sense, because the drivetrain isn't meant for that kind of power. Sure it has metal gear diffs, but plastic driveshafts can only take so much.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi
Thanks for the reply - I am looking for another motor/esc because I plan on putting the stock set up in my mini 8, and the castle stuff looks cool.

I don't think the reply really answered my question - why would they use the same motor in both combos? doesn't it make more sense to put a more powerful motor with the MMP? Or is the MMP combo just for providing better adjustability?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greasy Rocker
Hi
Thanks for the reply - I am looking for another motor/esc because I plan on putting the stock set up in my mini 8, and the castle stuff looks cool.

I don't think the reply really answered my question - why would they use the same motor in both combos? doesn't it make more sense to put a more powerful motor with the MMP? Or is the MMP combo just for providing better adjustability?
I think it's overall cheaper for the company to manufacture only one motor for both esc's. This would ensure no matter what ,those motors are gonna get sold regardless of the combo they choose. Also, i think the reason those motors come with the mmp is exactly what you said before, more adjustabilty. Make sure when or if you purchase a combo, that the motor included is # of poles you want. The cm36 motors come in both 2 pole and 4 pole variants and they look nearly identical. For 4wd, i'd go for a 4pole motor due to more torque. You might actually think about not getting the whole vxl combo like you said in the above post. The esc does it's job, but is very basic on what you can do to adjust it, and being that it is a vxl esc, there are many accounts of them failing. Mine hasn't so far (knock on wood). What i would do is keep the vxl motor, and get the mamba micro pro esc. Just my 2¢.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
dtr
Tech Master

The same motor puts different load on the esc in different applications, so when a SW2 is enough, the MMP would be an overkill and you can spend less.