Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RX8 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Tekin RX8 question

Senior moment while wiring a new Tekin RX8 for a 1/8th mugen SC conversion with Tekin Pro 4 motor. I accidentally reversed the battery. The speedo was off, but I herd the snap of reverse polarity to the battery... I use 4mm bullet plugs into the battery pack so the plug just touched the terminal.

Does anyone know if Tekin Speedo's have a reverse polarity protection feature..hoping it will still work once I'm finished and save me the need to order a new speedo.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't just order an ESC, they have a service feature for well below new price. There is a Tekin thread on the site that the company monitors.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...read-1137.html

Last edited by jayhawknavy02; 02-12-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

friend of mine did the same thing a couple of times in the same day.. and his esc has been working fine..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I did it on one of my rx8s and it just fried the lipo thank god but it scared the sh!t out of me.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I just did this on my RX8 last week.. shocked the crap out of me and the esc works fine. you are good to go! glad i am not the only one that has done this haha. I will be staying with Tekin for a very long time now. oh mine was with a 4s 50c pack and melted the solder off my deans and mine still works perfect.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the positive posts, I'm going to install the speedo back in my Mugen sc project chassis and hopefully get a chance to run it in a few weeks. I pulled It last night thinking of sending it back but your posts have changed my mind.

You guys are spot on with the scaring the crap out of me... And I was only hooking it up to a 2s lipo. Can't imagine what it would have been like with a 4s. I guess that's what happens at 2:00am.... So much wrenching so little time. Thanks for sharing your senior moments with the rest of RC geeks.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Make your power wires a length to where they can not be plugged in reverse or even to where the positive is not long enough to touch the negative wire no matter what.
If your esc is in line with your lipo and not to the side... no help.
But the Mugen does not need that weight in front for more steering... already has a ton of steering IMO. My esc sits behind the motor for a 50/50 weight distribution.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 question-2013-02-13_06-20-58_972.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Make your power wires a length to where they can not be plugged in reverse or even to where the positive is not long enough to touch the negative wire no matter what.
But the Mugen does not need that weight in front for more steering... already has a ton of steering IMO. My esc sits behind the motor for a 50/50 weight distribution.
This is the ideal way to do it but some ppl like me have and use other lipos that the positive and negative are reversed I wish they made them all the same
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, Randy said that before. I have never used a pack that doesn't have + on the left side so I guess that doesn't work for everyone.
That would definitely cause an issue in that situation.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fq06
I actually use all black wires except for the positive which is used KO 13 gauge pink wire.. all my wires are cut to a minimum length as you suggest to avoid exactly what you were referring to . The issue was I reverse wired on the speedo... don't ask, late night and a few drinks. HAHA

I sent the speedo back to Tekin, just in case and piece of mind. Thanks for the tips....
Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
I actually use all black wires except for the positive which is used KO 13 gauge pink wire.. all my wires are cut to a minimum length as you suggest to avoid exactly what you were referring to . The issue was I reverse wired on the speedo... don't ask, late night and a few drinks. HAHA

I sent the speedo back to Tekin, just in case and piece of mind. Thanks for the tips....
Ouch... yeah, had those fail nights myself

All black wires for me... murdered out

Have fun with the Mugen, its a great truck