Like Tree3Likes

FlySky FS iT4 Transmitter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCRacer6
Pbrreviws- how much are you asking?
it is in immaculate condition and will include the stock telemetry reciever and sensors along with a brand new 1st generation reciever and 2 used ones. I was thinking about $130 for the whole combo but make an offer and if you only want one receiver or however many let me know!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Rookie

hey everybody,
got my chip Friday and I have to say...wtf??????
I really can't believe they think this is an appropriate fix to their problem.
I mean seriously, not everyone out there is an electrical engineer with vast
soldering experience.
I don't know about the rest of you but my knees start knocking when I think
about trying to remove and install these chips.
sorry for ranting here, but I am totally disappointed with the support regarding
this issue.
anyway, hope I can do this or I've got a nice paperweight. or I might just use
it for target practice.
wish me luck!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by calchef
hey everybody,
got my chip Friday and I have to say...wtf??????
I really can't believe they think this is an appropriate fix to their problem.
I mean seriously, not everyone out there is an electrical engineer with vast
soldering experience.
I don't know about the rest of you but my knees start knocking when I think
about trying to remove and install these chips.
sorry for ranting here, but I am totally disappointed with the support regarding
this issue.
anyway, hope I can do this or I've got a nice paperweight. or I might just use
it for target practice.
wish me luck!
I'm no EE or not even close I have never even installed a chip on an electrical board. I just proved it can be done with practically no proper tools or experience in this field. I had no choice,if I wanted to have multiple cars and boats without having to get into the boat untape the box then pull out the receiver every time I wanted to switch. I used the biggest conical tip for a soldering iron and a razor saw to cut the old chip off. I think this helped as it gave me a chance with this new conical tip to feel how fast it would heat the tabs that needed to be cleaned off the board instead of having to try to get the whole chip loose at once. I just took my time and got it done. Like blvd buzzard stated. like using a sledge hammer to install thumb tacks. I did have a slight advantage . I have a big lighted magnifier from tying small flies for fishing, so I could see what I was doing at 49 my eye's see the chip tabs as a blurr. So that made it a bit easier for me and one of the reasons I said I was up to the task of giving it a shot. Im sure we could have held out for a board ,but who's to say they would have committed to that,and it could have been another month or two of waiting. Be thankful you got the chip and not {sorry the radio is how we designed it} Here is the only pic i took once I got this far there was no turning back.
Attached Thumbnails FlySky FS iT4 Transmitter Thread-photo465chip.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

LOL my norton just quarantined the flysky firmware update.
Attached Thumbnails FlySky FS iT4 Transmitter Thread-norton-snip.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

I too had to turn off Avast to get it to download. It comes through as spam, spyware do to it being an unknown .exe file.

calchef,m not really that hard. If you have any type of magnification, that really helps. I used my old head band type glasses.

If you have something like this, is all you need.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...7&locale=en_US

This makes pulling the old chip easier.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12580047

If you have the flux in the can, you can make your own by rubbing the flux on some bare strand wire and using it as solder wick. That is how I did it.

Here are a few videos on soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AVuqSZvg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGB_IUXSIM

Buzz.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the tips guys. i'm going to practice on some old computer boards I have
lying around and see how it goes. and at 49 any and all magnification will help.
I guess it's just the fear of never doing this before.
thanks again for the input and wish me luck, here goes nothing.....
Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the tips guys. i'm going to practice on some old computer boards I have
lying around and see how it goes. and at 49 any and all magnification will help.
My worse fear was overheating and melting the board. I tryed a piece of the braided but was scared I was going to cook it. With the new tip I just put in my station not knowing how long I could sit on an area. So I did away with the braided wick. I didn't know they made the stuff with flux in it or I would have tryed it first. ^^^ I was in your shoe's not knowing if I would wreck the whole board and be calling on Jerry to help me out. But you never will know if you can do it till you try it.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I too had to turn off Avast to get it to download. It comes through as spam, spyware do to it being an unknown .exe file.

calchef,m not really that hard. If you have any type of magnification, that really helps. I used my old head band type glasses.

If you have something like this, is all you need.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...7&locale=en_US

This makes pulling the old chip easier.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12580047

If you have the flux in the can, you can make your own by rubbing the flux on some bare strand wire and using it as solder wick. That is how I did it.

Here are a few videos on soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AVuqSZvg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGB_IUXSIM

Buzz.
After watching that video, I might open mine back up and ad a bit of solder when I get my small tip to make sure I got um all but I would think it would not work right if I missed any. I have all ways steered away from flux as it tends to corrode if you don't get it all off when cleaning it. I guess the solder has some flux in it. I have a lot of experience soldering bigger wire and stuff nothing on a board though.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unclecrash
My worse fear was overheating and melting the board. I tryed a piece of the braided but was scared I was going to cook it. With the new tip I just put in my station not knowing how long I could sit on an area. So I did away with the braided wick. I didn't know they made the stuff with flux in it or I would have tryed it first. ^^^ I was in your shoe's not knowing if I would wreck the whole board and be calling on Jerry to help me out. But you never will know if you can do it till you try it.
How did it work out for you? Is it working properly?

I've used mine for a pack in my basement drifting my RS4 mini around. Probably about 10 minutes of run time. No issues yet...

I also switched it over to the WR8 and blasted it around. It is working great. Now I just need to dial in all my trims and end points for the different models. It is pretty nice that I can set it and switch models without needing to rebind and dial everything back in.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

unclecrash, what flux did you use that corroded everything? only stuff I know of is an acid flux. You have to remove all of it or it will eat the parts up.

I have an "OLD" tin of no corrode flux. I have had it well over 20 years and going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-N...o+corrode+flux

Mine is in an actual metal container. Shows how old it is. I do have a small tin of acid flux too. I use that on the stainless, hardened wire, and some silver solder. Takes a bit of scrubbing to get all of it.

The parts now take a fair bit more heat then they used to.

Buzz.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

That's a good idea Im sure my nephews have some boards laying a round too. Im going to try to free up a couple chips from one when my new tips come.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

unclecrash, what flux did you use that corroded everything? only stuff I know of is an acid flux. You have to remove all of it or it will eat the parts up.

I have an "OLD" tin of no corrode flux. I have had it well over 20 years and going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-N...o+corrode+flux

Mine is in an actual metal container. Shows how old it is. I do have a small tin of acid flux too. I use that on the stainless, hardened wire, and some silver solder. Takes a bit of scrubbing to get all of it.

The parts now take a fair bit more heat then they used to.

Buzz.
Im not sure what I had. I just know my friend said to clean all the joint's with denatured alcohol or they would corrode which is not a good thing. The flux in the link do you have to clean after working on the board. I have used the acid flux before when soldering metal to metal. I would think not by the name. I will admit I need a new tin or tub the stuff in the basement has dust and crap in it,I lost the lid I appreciate the amazon links I have a card there. matter of fact I just ordered a small engine cylinder hone.

Last edited by unclecrash; 03-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

You do not have to clean it up after you solder. Yet cleaning it up is a good idea. just makes it look good. Also get a good solder.

http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-C...in+core+solder

Buzz.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

You do not have to clean it up after you solder. Yet cleaning it up is a good idea. just makes it look good. Also get a good solder.

http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-C...in+core+solder

Buzz.
The liquid acid flux for soldering metals together needs the good cleaning correct.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
How did it work out for you? Is it working properly?

I've used mine for a pack in my basement drifting my RS4 mini around. Probably about 10 minutes of run time. No issues yet...

I also switched it over to the WR8 and blasted it around. It is working great. Now I just need to dial in all my trims and end points for the different models. It is pretty nice that I can set it and switch models without needing to rebind and dial everything back in.
I don't have anything to run but boats right now. I need to get something going. My serpent needs tires and I messed up the carb tearing it down I think. I also need to find where the needles need to be set. I forgot to right them down before I tore the engine down. That was plain stupid especially the mid range. I have switched it back and forth between two receivers, at first I thought it was not right and thought I some how messed up one receiver, because every time I went to go back to #2 it would not hold bind, for some reason after going back and forth 3 times from #1 to#2 and it would not hold the bind then I tried putting #2 to #3 car in the radio then come back to it it finally worked so then I tried #1 and #2 again it worked, I must have been doing something wrong but finally got it right Im going to go and waterproof the receiver's with some spray I got hope they will be ok with the spray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.