Wiki Posts
Search

Brown outs and Mamba Max Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Maxime
Ok I went to the track last night and changing the servo and adding a capacitor did not fix the problem.

I also tried installing a separate BEC, and the ESC kept resetting itself. I removed the switch, tried with the sensor cable removed, tried different lipos, re-soldered my connectors, tried various firmwares...

No joy.
The MMP happily pushes a Losi ten-scte around with a 4000kv motor, if set up properly. How did you connect the external bec? What did you to the red wire in the servo cable of the MMP?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I isolated the red wire so that it wouln't touch anything.

Anyway... I guess it's possible I just got a bad unit... I'll just get a Tekin and be done with it..
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm also wondering how you hooked up the BEC, as well as what kind. A MMP should have no problem with any 1/10 motor and servo combination once a BEC is properly installed. I run one with a Pro4 4600kv in my Hyper 10SC with no issues.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrocket21
what he describes inst the bec, its the CRAP power switch. Replace it, or just solder the wires together and use your battery plug to turn the car onn and off.

I had a Sidewinder that was cutting out and just opened the case, removed the wires and just bridged the wire's solder pads with solder. Problem solved. Before you cut the switch out just try lowering the BEC voltage to 5.0v, this will provide a little more current and possibly prevent brown outs. Also try a cap across the RX batt. input. I have used the MMP in several vehicles with a number of different servos and have never needed an external BEC. I am running a MMP with a Tekin Pro4 4600 along with a JR 8717MG servo in a SCTE with no issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TOM MAR
Nothing wrong with the esc, just way too much motor.

It is only rated at 2650 kv, The 5.5 550 motor is a 4000 kv motor.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...-advisory.html

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-550-Motor-55T
Tom, i'm glad you posted this. I'm running a MMP in my Slash 4x4 and looking for more power than the VXL motor, looks like i'll be shopping for another ESC.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoyt1976
Tom, i'm glad you posted this. I'm running a MMP in my Slash 4x4 and looking for more power than the VXL motor, looks like i'll be shopping for another ESC.
You're Welcome & Thanks for the reply, I bought a ofna hyper sc & Revtech 4,800Kv motor 4 pole motor & luckily I found out before risking one of my 3 mmp 1 cells. I may be wrong but I would rather buy something I know won't fail.

There is also a Castle Q&A section & several other Mfg's at this site.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/index.php

Hopefully I will get to talk with their rep at the Snowbirds race the end of the month & find out for sure. I will post my findings.

Tom
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the BEC is installed properly and the ESC isn't defective, the only thing it could be is the battery, or the wires from the battery to the esc.

What battery are you running?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've run into several wierd issues with the MMP, including something similar to what you have encountered. I fixed them in an equally wierd way: I used the Castle Link to update the firmware to a very old version, then did it a second time to the latest version. This wiped out whatever bits were twiddled in the wrong direction, and fixed the problems. (The problems were NOT fixed by just updating to new firmware. There's something going on that requires writing the old version of firmware first, then the new.)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hoyt1976
No offense, but you guys are TOTALLY reading that link the wrong way. It in no way states that the 2650kv is the maximum motor the MMP can handle; rather, it's simply saying that motor is all Castle makes that they would recommend in a 4x4 SCT, although their 3800 is great as well.

Again, the MMP will run any 1/10 scale motor with no problems if you set it up correctly!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SLODRIVE
No offense, but you guys are TOTALLY reading that link the wrong way. It in no way states that the 2650kv is the maximum motor the MMP can handle; rather, it's simply saying that motor is all Castle makes that they would recommend in a 4x4 SCT, although their 3800 is great as well.

Again, the MMP will run any 1/10 scale motor with no problems if you set it up correctly!
But we are talking about 4x4 6.5 lbs or less. SC or Buggy 4x4 is 4x4. No offense taken & none meant, that is why I intend to ask the Castle rep. The highest motor it recommends is the 2650 in SC 4x4. The lowest it recommends against is the 4600. What are we not reading right?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem. External BEC, soldered on/off switch, and soldered the motor wires directly to the ESC fixed it....until the ESC finally burned up 4 months later.

CC MMP is a POS. Tekin RX8 with the Pro 4 is the only way to fly...lol. There are other great options, just disappointment with Castle quality.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

I have been told the mmp is only a 60 amp esc, if it is it is great for what it is & in pan car oval it is one of the best you can get. So is the Tekin rs pro. You will have issues with any esc.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

I disagree, I'm on my 3rd MMP in 9 months on my TEN-SCTE. I've seen many MMPs in the SCTE die the same death. As far as RX8/Pro-4 combos, only a very small number have had any issue.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jayhawknavy02
I disagree, I'm on my 3rd MMP in 9 months on my TEN-SCTE. I've seen many MMPs in the SCTE die the same death. As far as RX8/Pro-4 combos, only a very small number have had any issue.
That's Cool we all have a right to our own opinion, I have using a mmp for 2 1/2 years in my sc10 mod (various motors from 7.5 to 13.5) & stock 17.5 with no issues. They just do not have the capacity for 4 wd. My 2 lb. 13.5 pan car is set up with my motor free spinning ( not recommended) at 28 amps No drive train. Imagine what that would be in a 6 lb. 4 wd on the track.

It is simply not made for a TEN-SCTE. The rx8 is designed for heavier use & should be fine.

I am looking at the Viper...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Absolutely agree, unfortunately, Castle and Horizon thought it could handle the demands of the SCTE, and packaged it in the RTR, which was my first exposure. It doesn't seem to do well. I am getting mine repaired and putting it into my LCG Pro-2 2WD Slash conversion. I think its a good ESC, just not with a heavy 4x4 SCTE as you mentioned.

Last edited by jayhawknavy02; 01-07-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.