Charging/Balancing lipo batteries??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging/Balancing lipo batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Charging/Balancing lipo batteries??

This may be a dumb question but i recently bought a new charger and have used both balance and charge modes to charge my batteries. Balance mode obviously perfectly balances the cells but takes way longer than regular charge mode. I was under the impression that balance mode was necessary to not damage the battery but in standard charge mode the cells stay within only a couple hundredths of each other and charge fully in about half the time. Given that the cells end up almost perfectly balanced anyway with standard charge mode, is it ok to charge my batteries like this; because 2 hours seems ridiculous for a 2s lipo. Any help is much appreciated
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

What charger and what batteries?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

When we first got lipo packs we took all the precautions and balanced charged every time. Over time we realized that the cells weren't very far off after cycling the packs a few times on raceday. We eventually quit balancing during charge and only balance during storage charge but I also keep a close eye on cell voltages.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Something's funny if you ask me. If a pack is that close to balanced with using a standard charge it shouldn't take that much, if any, extra time to balance charge..IMO

Ya, what charger and pack?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Something tells me that one cell was way out of line with the other which could be why it took so long to balance. Depending on the charger and how you use the pack it can take anywhere from a few minutes to about an hour to bal charge.

Essentially the charger was trying to charge the low cell with a very small charge rate to bring it up to the same voltage as the other.

I race TC and SCT using 2S packs and normally a recharge after a heat is about 15 to 20 minutes (balanced).
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Something's funny if you ask me. If a pack is that close to balanced with using a standard charge it shouldn't take that much, if any, extra time to balance charge..IMO

Ya, what charger and pack?
That is exactly my experience as well. It shouldn't take any more (or less) time really.

The only thing I can think of is a very well capacity matched pack with very bad IR match charged at high current (balanced throughout the whole charge). This will cause an artificial high voltage on the higher IR cell(s) causing the balancer to bleed them early on. Then toward the end the balancer will bleed the lower IR cell(s) to make up the difference.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M1kect
This may be a dumb question but i recently bought a new charger and have used both balance and charge modes to charge my batteries. Balance mode obviously perfectly balances the cells but takes way longer than regular charge mode. I was under the impression that balance mode was necessary to not damage the battery but in standard charge mode the cells stay within only a couple hundredths of each other and charge fully in about half the time. Given that the cells end up almost perfectly balanced anyway with standard charge mode, is it ok to charge my batteries like this; because 2 hours seems ridiculous for a 2s lipo. Any help is much appreciated
If the individual cell's voltages all stay equal the whole way up then my IR idea is wrong. I guess the question we need to ask is where/when is it spending all the extra wasted time? I have an idea it is very much at the very end of the charge when the current is very low, right?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What charge rate are you using? I usually charge my 2S lipos at 5A whether balancing or not. The default rate was lower and I bumped it up. I almost always balance and they usually don't take more than 30 to 45 minutes when low. I use a HiTec X1 charger.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...y-charger.html