Wiki Posts
Search

Is this Power Supply enough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 248 (100%+)
Default Is this Power Supply enough?

I just picked up 2 Sky 6200 Chargers that will go up to 10A each and am having some trouble with one of my converted power supplies holding the voltage for both. I am looking at getting a premade supply and want to know if the Protek 20A (3 outputs, 1@20A and 2@10A each) would be enough. I know you are supposed to built in some margin for error but surely this supply has to be able to pump out 10A on each output, especially since they list it as 2 switched outputs at 16A each

Charger Sky 6200 10A
Power Supply Protek 20A
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Depends on the voltages of the packs. That power supply should be enough to charge a pair of 2S 7.4V lipos at 10A each. Not enough for higher cell counts, 3S, 4S, etc.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that power supply is the one the guys at the local track are using for all their chargers.
I was asking about it at the shop yesterday. the shop felt it was the best one they have
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dave's right, it'll do 2s packs at 10 amps easily. The math shows that it will "almost" do 3s packs , but not quite. It may do them staggered at 10 amps or do them at 8-9 amps.

This calc really must be done in watts , and then the ps is listed as 260 watts, I've seen some ps kick off well before the rating and I've kept the ones that go beyond their rating. Unfortunately we have to go by the label until confirmed otherwise.

It seems to be about 4 times as much money as I'd like to pay for a 250 watt ps , but it does have some nice switches and jacks.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 248 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gulio
Dave's right, it'll do 2s packs at 10 amps easily. The math shows that it will "almost" do 3s packs , but not quite. It may do them staggered at 10 amps or do them at 8-9 amps.

This calc really must be done in watts , and then the ps is listed as 260 watts, I've seen some ps kick off well before the rating and I've kept the ones that go beyond their rating. Unfortunately we have to go by the label until confirmed otherwise.

It seems to be about 4 times as much money as I'd like to pay for a 250 watt ps , but it does have some nice switches and jacks.
Thanks guys. I will just stick with my converted computer P/S that will let me do 2 4S packs at 8A each.