Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo - Advantage of wires "built-in" vs plugs on battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Lipo - Advantage of wires "built-in" vs plugs on battery

Gotta pick up some new batteries, and I'm seeing more and more that newer lipos don't have the wires permanently attached... instead they have plugs on the case to plug wires into.

What is the advantage or disadvantage of this?

To me, I see a disadvantage in that the banana plug would come unplugged
easier than a dean's plug would come apart (which is what I use on the pigtail for the battery). The advantage would be that if the "permanent" wire version gets damage to the wire close enough to the battery case, you might not be able to repair it.

Which do you prefer? and why?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With the banana plugs, you would hard wire.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

LiPo cells/batteries with permanently attached wires are better for me, as I have a tendency to connect things backwards if given the opportunity.

The cells/batteries with built-in banana jacks have the positive and negative terminals in different locations depending on the manufacturer, so it's possible to get things backwards pretty easy. In this case I always make a wiring harness with Deans connectors and banana plugs for each cell/battery, and leave them connected, maybe with a little Shoe Goo around the banana plugs to make them semi-permanent. That way I won't plug in backwards.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Each has pros and cons..it comes down to preference. I like straight wire to battery for a cleaner look. If you already have wired batteries stick with deans. If not, try the bullets. Its worth a shot.Make sure they are a solid male bullets and not the cage type bullet that comes with most tube type batteries.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I prefer to plug into the battery. Mixing up the terminals is not an issue as long as you're careful. I use castle 4mm bullet connectors and they are very snug in my nanotechs so I'm not too worried about them coming out. I just like plugging the esc wires directly into the battery because it looks cleaner and it's one less connection to worry about.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I dont think it matters? the cells are soldered to something inside whether it be wires or bullets. i prefer bullets for cleanliness. just up to the user to configure their car properly to prevent reversing it. a battery with a 4 and 5 mm bullet might help this.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I think it depends on the person and the application. For my 22 and WGT bullet plugs are preferable due to packaging. On a slash or a tc4 I could see the benefit of the permanent wiring. In addition I find that the balancing plugs on the permanent wired batteries tend to take a bit of a beating and they are harder to repair.

If you are the kind of person who likes a cleaner look and can be very disciplined about paying attention to details, I'd stick with bullet plugs.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Thanks everyone - just ordered my batteries and I'm going with the banana plugs - my concern was if the banana plugs would come unplugged easier than a deans plug (the way I have done in the recent past)... When I started we were soldering the pack in for each heat/main and I got used to deans so I guess I can get used to banana plugs directly into the battery.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rs-Gold-14mm-2
I use duratrax branded ones but same thing. these are solid so will hold their shape well if you stick a driver in the end to expand them a bit.

they stay stuck pretty good.
deans works great too. just a pita to solder and depending on the vehicle, difficult to deal with. deans in 12th scale for instance... no

do with the solid variety bullets though. ive had solder connections break before these come undone.