Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Transmitter latency - does it really matter? >

Transmitter latency - does it really matter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Transmitter latency - does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Only wedge bodies here in the states are late models which is what i have..i just set it up for onroad...cuz thats where i drive most of the time...did you understand that...
Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Suspended

You dont understand english bc it wasnt mint for you to hear ... it was for germans
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve S
Here's how I look at it.

Radio response times are measured in milliseconds, and servo transit times are measured in hundredths of seconds. So imagine the difference between a fast and slow servo, divide that difference by about 10, and that is the difference you may or may not feel.
Here is a quote from the first page ... understand that?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wingracer
Slow servos are not always a bad thing. Speed and latency are two different things. Latency is ALWAYS undesirable, servo speed can be a bad thing, a very little difference thing, or a good thing. The slowest servo on earth will still START to move as soon as it gets the signal, so at least the car starts to respond at the same time, regardless of the servo's transit time.

1. A .2 second servo with a 10ms (.01 seconds) latency radio = the car starts to respond in 10ms and reaches full travel .2 seconds later.

2. A .1 second servo with a 40ms radio will actually reach full travel sooner (.140 vs .201) but it will START to move .03 seconds later.

Could you drive a car with an instantaneous servo but a radio with a 2 second delay? I think that would be pretty much impossible. Less latency is ALWAYS better. Of course, the law of diminishing returns come into play in a big way. Yes, 2 second latency would be undriveable but what about .2? You could drive it but would probably hit a lot of stuff. Get down to .05 or so and things seem good to the average guy but .02 would still be better. Is it worth $500 to get down to .01? For most, probably not. That money would be much better spent on tires and track time but if that aspect is already maximized, then it probably is.

And this...
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Its all too old i got what i want...i would give you directions but i can't point on the internet
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Suspended

The dead band is the latency per say...the interval of time between controller and receiver....
mine is .025 milliseconds
Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kongluc
The dead band is the latency per say...the interval of time between controller and receiver....
mine is .025 milliseconds
Latency is different from deadband.

Latency is the amount of time between initial control change and initial servo/ESC/whatever movement.

Deadband is the amount of control change allowed around a neutral point before anything happens at the servo/ESC/whatever.

Deadband of 0.025 milliseconds (25 microseconds) is a believable value; but 0.025 milliseconds of latency is far less than what our RC systems have.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Suspended

buy a castle creations sidewinder sct...get the castle link..not the card...
bind everything...and move the dead band to .025 ms and it willll cooooooogggg like crazy...i got tired of it....picked up a tactic for $80....and its by faaaaaar better than the futaba... yes futaba servos are good..but from that experience i dont use them....tooo much money
Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

This guy honestly makes me miss Bertsv87 a little.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by howardcano
Latency is different from deadband.

Latency is the amount of time between initial control change and initial servo/ESC/whatever movement.

Deadband is the amount of control change allowed around a neutral point before anything happens at the servo/ESC/whatever.

Deadband of 0.025 milliseconds (25 microseconds) is a believable value; but 0.025 milliseconds of latency is far less than what our RC systems have.
Stock is .1ms and 6 settings down is .025...its listed atvery small...throttle dead band...im reading it at my computer now...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by heretic
This guy honestly makes me miss Bertsv87 a little.
Too funny man.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kongluc
Stock is .1ms and 6 settings down is .025...its listed atvery small...throttle dead band...im reading it at my computer now...
Yes, that is deadband. It is NOT latency.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Ok...thanks for not explaining it to me then cuz its pretty fast compared to the futaba..
dont play yall i like rc just like you do..i would get something expensive...but if anyone hit my ride or ran me into the wall...somebody's goin to jail
Old 07-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

There have been plenty of tests that show the human brain/eye is excellent interpreting trajectories and corresponding reactions. You'd never be able to hit a baseball or tennis ball because by the time the brain "saw" the ball, it would have moved from that position.

I also look at full size racing as an example. Surely no driver can move his steering wheel anywhere near this fast and the slop in the steering system could easily account for a 15ms delay in steering reaction from an input.

I think if you practiced with the same radio/car, regardless of the latency (within reason), you'd mentally adjust eventually.

But many of us switch vehicles and maybe have different servos and different steering geometry which makes it more difficult to learn to predict the effects of different latency.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bottom line is keep your radio latency and servo speed as fast as you can afford. And learn (practice) till you can drive it the way you like and still be fast. The off brand transmitters and servos are a "get what you pay for" situation. Paying for crap is always a learning expierience. I remember I bought a Bluebird servo for like 30 bucks back in the day. When I installed it the damn thing didnt even center right.
Pay for the good stuff up front period. You will never look back
There are 5 radios I always consider no specific order. Airtronics, KO, Spektrum, Futaba and Graupner. I did my research and for the price and size of reciever I chose Graupner.
I know Graupner is not very well known but it workd for me. Do your homework.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.