Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Transmitter latency - does it really matter? >

Transmitter latency - does it really matter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Transmitter latency - does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
I'm sorry I still find it hard to believe. What measurable difference is their? And I dont mean perceived difference...

Running off road you certainly wouldn't notice it. Running onroad doesn't mean you would notice it. You could have a slight push at initial turn in that you see as a lag in steering input. So the radio must be slow.

There is a huge difference between the response of a computer and the response of an RC car on the ground.

We aren't talking about a cars transmission. Apples and oranges. And we certainly aren't talking about the difference between 10ms and 80ms. 10ms and 40ms was what was refereed to. Less than half what you are referring to.

Like I said what radio manufacturer publishes the latency? How do you know what the latency of the radios are?

And just FYI, because a lot of people get bent out of shape when people disagree with them online, this isn't me arguing with you. This is me debating it and wanting proof. I've wondered the same thing. I have a Futaba 4PL. I certainly couldn't justify the price of a 4PKS because "its faster". I'm sure it is faster. But how much? Its like buying a servo that is .09 vs one thats .08 but paying $100 more for the faster one.

And to make it fair I think a person would also have to take the Tx out of the box without making any adjustments other than trim. Because the features of a radio can make a car feel faster around a track lap time wise. And not all radios have the same features.

Simply too many variables to say its the latency as far as I see it.
+1

At the tracks I frequent, too many racers fall into "it's faster, I can feel it" syndrome IMHO. You simply cannot take away the "human error" element to perceived differences when comparing transmitters. By human error, I mean to say that there are rarely two laps driven exactly the same.

I've noticed no difference between wired and wireless gaming controllers, your internet bandwidth being the main culprit to a good game vs. a bad game.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm sorry I still find it hard to believe. What measurable difference is their? And I dont mean perceived difference...

Running off road you certainly wouldn't notice it. Running onroad doesn't mean you would notice it. You could have a slight push at initial turn in that you see as a lag in steering input. So the radio must be slow.

There is a huge difference between the response of a computer and the response of an RC car on the ground.

We aren't talking about a cars transmission. Apples and oranges. And we certainly aren't talking about the difference between 10ms and 80ms. 10ms and 40ms was what was refereed to. Less than half what you are referring to.

Like I said what radio manufacturer publishes the latency? How do you know what the latency of the radios are?

And just FYI, because a lot of people get bent out of shape when people disagree with them online, this isn't me arguing with you. This is me debating it and wanting proof. I've wondered the same thing. I have a Futaba 4PL. I certainly couldn't justify the price of a 4PKS because "its faster". I'm sure it is faster. But how much? Its like buying a servo that is .09 vs one thats .08 but paying $100 more for the faster one.

And to make it fair I think a person would also have to take the Tx out of the box without making any adjustments other than trim. Because the features of a radio can make a car feel faster around a track lap time wise. And not all radios have the same features.

Simply too many variables to say its the latency as far as I see it.
It's not about fastest laptimes or car balance, it's about control precision. The lower and more consistent the latency, the more accurately the car mimics your inputs. For a really good driver (close to pro level), lower latency will mean more consistent laptimes and fewer mistakes (clipped boards or dots, missed apexes). Lesser drivers, it may also make a difference but they are making too many mistakes of their own for any radio induced problems to show through the noise in the data so to speak.

As for published numbers, most manufacturers publish numbers but I wouldn't trust them. It is sort of like battery C numbers. Third party testing has been done on many radios and results published but it mainly seems to be helicopter guys that have both the interest, knowledge and equipment to do the testing.

I have seen testing results on one of the el-crappo cheapfest radios that revealed some startling bad numbers. Not only could the delay be as much as .06 seconds, but it varied anywhere from .02 to .06 seemingly at random. Now tell me, if you're a pro running one inch from the board at every apex and someone hands you a radio with that kind of variance, do you really think you can keep it off those boards while running the same tight lines and laptimes? I sure couldn't. If you want to see those results, dig through the radio sub forum, it's in there somewhere.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

FWIW.... I got back into RC last fall after an 8 year break. I got out in summer of 03. At that time I had been using my old trusty Futaba 3PJS. Great radio at the time, I loved it... It took me to many race wins. And, more importantly, I loved the way it felt in my hands. I was just at home with it.

So, when I got back into RC and discovered the new breed of 2.4GHz radios, I decided to convert my 3PJS to 2.4 in an effort to save money on initial expenditures.

I only race on-road... started racing asphalt sedan last fall and progressed to racing, for the most part, only carpet pan-car. Mostly 12th scale. I ran the 3PJS until last April, when I got a new shiny radio. Almost instantly I was able to drive substantially more consistently. I don't think it made me faster in any capacity, in regards to outright lap time... but I felt much more in control and it was far easier to finish an 8-min run without tapping or catching a flapper/board.

I was literally shocked at how big of a difference there was between the two radios. Granted, the 3PJS was released in like 99 or 00, so I obviously knew that technology had improved by leaps and bounds, but it was still surprising. I even went back to the track the following weekend after first trying the new radio, and ran back to back with it and my old 3PJS. Same result.

Dont underestimate the value of a good radio system/transmitter.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

I could have sworn that I saw an Airtronics video (maybe last year) that gave the exact latency of their transmitters AND compared them to Futaba and Spectrum. Basically, the video shows that while Futaba is a close second, Spectrum was far behind. For some reason, I can't find it now (maybe Futaba and Spektrum complained?). But the chart from that video is still shown in the Airtronics website. Here it is attached. Based on what wingracer posted, it DOES appear that the latency varies within the transmitter as evidenced by this chart from Airtronics.
Attached Thumbnails Transmitter latency - does it really matter?-latency.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Armand
I could have sworn that I saw an Airtronics video (maybe last year) that gave the exact latency of their transmitters AND compared them to Futaba and Spectrum. Basically, the video shows that while Futaba is a close second, Spectrum was far behind. For some reason, I can't find it now (maybe Futaba and Spektrum complained?). But the chart from that video is still shown in the Airtronics website. Here it is attached. Based on what wingracer posted, it DOES appear that the latency varies within the transmitter as evidenced by this chart from Airtronics.
Yeah, if you do a google search you can find posts by a guy jkos in a heli forum. He does his own independent testing of heli radios and posts the results. Unfortunately, I am not aware of him ever testing car radios but he has found that Sanwa/Airtronics are not only among the quickest but that their published numbers are usually quite accurate. If only we could talk someone into doing car radio testing like that.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
FWIW.... I got back into RC last fall after an 8 year break. I got out in summer of 03. At that time I had been using my old trusty Futaba 3PJS. Great radio at the time, I loved it... It took me to many race wins. And, more importantly, I loved the way it felt in my hands. I was just at home with it.

So, when I got back into RC and discovered the new breed of 2.4GHz radios, I decided to convert my 3PJS to 2.4 in an effort to save money on initial expenditures.

I only race on-road... started racing asphalt sedan last fall and progressed to racing, for the most part, only carpet pan-car. Mostly 12th scale. I ran the 3PJS until last April, when I got a new shiny radio. Almost instantly I was able to drive substantially more consistently. I don't think it made me faster in any capacity, in regards to outright lap time... but I felt much more in control and it was far easier to finish an 8-min run without tapping or catching a flapper/board.

I was literally shocked at how big of a difference there was between the two radios. Granted, the 3PJS was released in like 99 or 00, so I obviously knew that technology had improved by leaps and bounds, but it was still surprising. I even went back to the track the following weekend after first trying the new radio, and ran back to back with it and my old 3PJS. Same result.

Dont underestimate the value of a good radio system/transmitter.
This I completely understand. Going from old tech to new tech will make a noticeable difference.

So instead of 10-40ms we are really talking a difference of less than 10ms in a worst case scenario on even a mediocre radio.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I am by no means a pro, but when using my 3PK I am a half second faster average per lap versus a low end 2.4 gig radio. I am running onroad and carpet on VRC Pro. I know that I could not rely on a radio that does not give consistant performance let alone return to the same centre every time. I do run close to the boards and run multiple laps within .25 seconds or a 25 lap heat without a crash. I agree totally with your post. Although the 3PK is a mid fast radio, it really makes a difference to my driving. I tried two entry level 2.4 ghz radios and both felt vague. You do get what you pay for..
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
That's not exactly the same thing. Servo speed is how long it takes the servo to move a certain amount, but it STARTS moving essentially instantly (as far as the test goes). Latency is the delay between when you move a control and when the servo STARTS to move. So no matter how fast your servo is, the delay is ALWAYS there. Also, some of the real crappy radios out there are very inconsistent in their latency. It might be just 10ms one time, and 40ms the next. That's not good for consistent driving.

Fortunately, most of the good radios out there are reasonably quick but KO and Airtronics/Sanwa seem to have a bit of an edge. That being said, I still say my FM M11 feels quicker than ANY 2.4 out there, especially compared to Spektrum which is noticeably less responsive.
All good points, I just wanted to give an idea of the order of magnitude we're talking about. I agree that consistency is very important, but you would probably get accustomed to any reasonable constant latency.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
All good points, I just wanted to give an idea of the order of magnitude we're talking about. I agree that consistency is very important, but you would probably get accustomed to any reasonable constant latency.
The difference WILL be noticeable in a 12th scale pan car. A gentleman at our local club had been running a 2.4 ghz Futaba 3PM. He asked if I would drive his car to see how close his set-up was. I found the car to be impossible to drive cleanly. You could actually feel the delay between wheel movement and servo movement. I went so far as to add 10% positive exponential, no improvement in response, just a harder cut when the servo actually moved.

He then purchased a KO EX-5 UR, and installed it. Instantly, his car was predictable, and responded almost as quickly as my KO Helios Comp. His laptimes were .2 better right off the bat.

On the same note, my friend's FHSS KO Eurus is even quicker than my Helios. This is not a matter of perception, it is undeniable on a high bite, small carpet track.

Most top drivers use very few of the features on their top of the line transmitters outside of dual rate and endpoint adjustments. A less expensive radio with fewer features would work fine if the manufacturers installed the low latency electronics in the mid level radios.......

All of that being said, You'll see Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, and KO on podiums at races around the world.

The radio is by far the most important piece of equipment you'll ever buy in this hobby. IMHO, this is the one area where you ABSOLUTELY buy the highest spec you can afford.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been in and out of this hobby since 1994. I never really "believed" in super-high-end radios--until this year. After a 10 year hiatus from R/C I got back into it using my old Futaba FM PCM transmitter. Then, I decided that it looked like I was going fishing every time I went up on the driver's stand with my "outdated" FM radio, I bought a Spektrum DX3C 2.4 gHz. Same car, same setup, and I had to essentially "lead" the steering by 1/4 to 1/2 a car length sooner than when using the FM radio. Not only that, but it was harder to drive smooth since I needed max steering by the time the car got to the point where I needed max steering, so I just cranked the steering wheel all the way at my "new" cornering mark.

After driving a few cars that had K.O.'s Ultra Response system, I decided to get the lowest end model, the EX5, and boy was there a difference. I can drive much smoother in that, at least at my level, that latency is small enough that I can't tell the difference.

Now if only they can build some force-feedback on the wheel so we get a more accurate gauge of front wheel traction...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Then we'll be sitting around here discussing force-feedback latency
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I can't say it was definitely the latency that helped me improve, but there was definitely a difference in the end result.
Maybe it was the 'resolution' that the servo and ESC had with the newer receivers that gave better precision.
What Skid said rings true for me, I upgraded to the micro Spektrum DSM2 receivers in all my models, allowing me to use the fastest frame rate/response times, I'm not sure it's all about response times, rather the smoother control from it, I could feel the upgrade, and I'm not that good.

Will any of it make you faster though?, to a point probably not, but that must be like everything in RC, just cause it makes the car faster in some way, does not guarantee it will make 'you' faster.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

The Sanwa catalogue that lists response times, no idea how much is marketing BS though;
http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/FlashKat...g2012_sanwa-e/

I think people are underestimating the difference in the quality of the internal components and how well the internals work when combined, not just thinking about the delay between the transmitter and receiver.

Speaking of speed, I had a conversation at a recent national with Andy Moore, as he uses the same radio as me but with the faster receiver (RX-451R) along with Sanwa Servo's.
I asked if he used Sanwa's SSR mode (fastest) and he said no, it's too fast when set to that !!!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Running onroad doesn't mean you would notice it. You could have a slight push at initial turn in that you see as a lag in steering input. So the radio must be slow.
In onroad he car's tires are in contact with the track surface much more and that contact is significantly more consistant (load). The way I see it, it's absolutely more feasible for latency differences to be noticable driving onroad.

Not too long ago I upgraded my 3PK module from standard Spektrum to FASSST. I can't say I've noticed a difference in how fast my cars react but only that it's more consistant and w/o glitching, but that's another story.

Recently I had a much better driver (than I) drive my car and he was questioning my steering servo because the car was so tight on entry. I was confident in my servo so basically didn't give it much thought after that. I made some changes to the front end and now the car turns much quicker. Certainly, poor handling characteristics can be misinterpreted as slow servo or latency.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Umm.... WOW... but then why would they bother switching to another radio for the other car classes? Or do they?
I doubt any driver would swap for the different classes, just have models set up slightly differently.

I know Ellliot Harper and Andy Moore use the same radio's all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.