Search

transmitters to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude
+1 Those things have more lag than playing COD on a calculator
Guess that shows how much better of a player i am than you since i can deal with the "lag".
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayhawknavy02
Looking at a Spektrum DX2S or DX3S any opinions?
Lightweight, medium range of adjustments, responsive and good for a new to intermediate racer in my opinion. I used to own one and did not have any issues personally with it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have a fly sky gt3b, it is an ok radio. I had my hacked to the .50 firmware and disabled the channel 3 to increase response time. I did not notice much lag, but I wanted an airtronics so I picked up the MX3-X. First off, the flysky is way easier to program. Not that the MX3-X is hard, but it was just easier. The MX3X felt better in my hand though. I cant really explain it more than that. The backlite on the Fly Sky was very night and it has ABS, but the deal breaker for me was the trigger. I had noticed that the Fly Sky was hitting full throttle at 3/4 trigger pull. This was before and after the hack. I calibrated the radio and the esc and it was the same. The Airtronics uses the full trigger range. And it gives me a much better feel. I dont us ABS, so that missing feature is not biggie, but I do miss the back-lite.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have a fly sky gt3b, it is an ok radio. I had my hacked to the .50 firmware and disabled the channel 3 to increase response time. I did not notice much lag, but I wanted an airtronics so I picked up the MX3-X. First off, the flysky is way easier to program. Not that the MX3-X is hard, but it was just easier. The MX3X felt better in my hand though. I cant really explain it more than that. The backlite on the Fly Sky was very night and it has ABS, but the deal breaker for me was the trigger. I had noticed that the Fly Sky was hitting full throttle at 3/4 trigger pull. This was before and after the hack. I calibrated the radio and the esc and it was the same. The Airtronics uses the full trigger range. And it gives me a much better feel. I dont us ABS, so that missing feature is not biggie, but I do miss the back-lite.
Yeah the backlight was a deal-breaker for me on the airtronics mt-4. For $300 it should have a backlight, i mean seriously come on airtronics. There are kits and videos on how to add a backlight to the mt-4 but i just dont risk voiding the warranty if i solder something wrong. $300 phht....gone. Think the futaba 4pl is a good deal for my next radio.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
I disagree. You are correct in saying that there is nothing better...for that price. There isn't, but it is still not a very good radio. You have to reprogram them to get them to work as they should.

I have spent too long reprogramming these radios getting them to work right. The latest firmware brings the latency down to around 20ms or so, previous to that it was around 70!

Now, it you are just bashing around, try it,. It most likely will go well. If you are racing at all, stay clear and buy a better radio.

I have two very good buds that used these radios for racing and they swore by them. I reprogrammed them and they were happy but could never get the car to handle right. They spent so much time tweaking, changing their setups and could never get the car to go well. No matter how many times you told them it was they radio they wouldn't listen.

Eventually, one decided to get a Futaba 4pl. He imediately went from finishing in the lower ranks to finishing in the top 3 of our mains. Last week, the other coverted to a 4pl and he too went to the A-mains.

There might be some that doubt this is entirely due to the radio, but not from where I stand.

For bashing, it is great. For racing, nope, steer clear and get a better radio. It doesn't matter how much the rx cost and the radio costs if you aren't having any fun racing and driving your car.
Very well said, this same thing happened to me. I went to 3pk. So much difference. But if your a basher the Flysky Is a good radio for the price
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would avoid the Futaba 3PRKA.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Crawler guy chiming in here. I started with a dx3e worked great but I needed a better controller for more than one rig. I then purchased a dx3-c. It was a great radio for a while, not one problem not one glitch. I love the feel of the spectrums. Then I needed more channel mixing to run dual esc, so purchased the 4pl. The 4pl is amazing for the price but I still like the feel of the spectrums better. If I could get away with fewer options I would go back to the dx3c. I never had any problems with them even when I was using 333-486 in/oz servos. Of course I always used an external bec or a crawler esc with a beefy internal one.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayhawknavy02
Looking at a Spektrum DX2S or DX3S any opinions?
I cannot recommend the DX3S, based on personal experience. I can't imagine the DX2S would be any different. Funtionality and feel-wise, I liked my DX3S. It's nice and light and the screen is easy to read. I also liked the menu set up and found it easy to use. It did feel a little cheap feeling in my hand though.

In my use, I encountered 2 issues. One I couldn't resolve and the other I had to use a "band-aid" to fix. First off, the range on the DX3S, using DSM receivers, is very short compared to other radios I have had. Maybe switching to DSM2 receivers would help, but I couldn't justify the investment. Under race conditions, this was never a problem since I'm always within 100-150 feet of my car at all times. While bashing, I experienced cut-outs when I went further. Even my previous DX3.0 was better, using the same exact receivers. Go figure?

Second, Spektrum DSM receivers seem to be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Using digital servos like Savox will cause the receiver to brown out for sure. I found adding a "glitch buster" capacitor didn't totally fix the problem and had to install an external BEC. I know the ESC I was using was partly to blame. However, I hooked up the same setup to an Airtronics MX-Sport and the problem vanished.

I am currently in the process of switching to an Airtronics MX-3X. I'm not going to look back. Spektrum is okay for what you pay, but there is better if you are willing to save a little longer for some other big name brand.

Last edited by redbarton; 08-31-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote "jay"