Search
Like Tree7Likes

Turnigy TrackStar Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
I just picked up a 17.5 to try in blinky tc. Was on a budget for the build.

I will get to run it for the 1st time tomorrow going to start out with a 4.09 fdr and full timing in tc on a 70x40ft track
If it is a tight layout you should probably try 1 or 2 ticks from full timing, and add more as motor temp allows.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

They are generally pretty open. However, I will drop it a few ticks to start and work my way back up.

I know it looks real nice in my ride as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've had my silver Trackstar 21.5 for around a year. I've also had a Speedpassion 21.5r for the past few months. I've run both back to back in my Tamiya 417x and it's a very noticeable difference. The Trackstar has more torque AND it's faster. Overall I prefer the Trackstar motor. I thought some might find this info useful.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Trackstar name and logo stolen

Originally Posted by Manny
That really sucks for for Trackstar RC but these motors are sold through a different brand name, Turnigy. Trackstar is the name of the line not the name of the company.
Trackstar R/C needs to copyright their name and logo. Hobbyking/Turnigy have obviously stolen their logo and name.

I have a Trackstar motor - I compared it to my sonic and sonic 2 - Many similarities. Decent quality - Stator can be interchanged - Havent bench run it though. The endbell can be gently machined with a dremel to gain extra timing. But all your most likely going to do by adding more timing is introduce more heat and reduce the lifespan of the motor. It's best to perfect your driving skills, car setup and consistency before chasing more speed/power.

Tip... if you are going to do this machining, dont trim the three sliver alloy sensor mount tabs smaller as this will make the mounts weaker and prone to failure. The endbell red/grey casing has to machined internally so the timing adjustment slots/grooves allow more positive timing adjustment. The rotor overall length was slightly different but could be interchanged by changing of the brass shims. The rotor balance had more drilling on the Trackstar than the Reedy did. Trackstar 4 holes compared to Reedy 2 holes.

The hacker Skalar 1/10 motors appear to be totally different externally.

Overall you get what you pay for, the Trackstar is the best bang for buck. I'm lucky, our club/governing body has a ruling that in some classes a "commercially available" motor can be used rather than just a "roar". Neither the Trackstar or the Reedy has the same QC as a Fantom, but you do get what you pay for.

I paid $105 here in Australia for a Mk2 sonic - I fried it (my faiult) I was unable to buy a 21.5 stator as they dont sell them. I emailed Reedy/AE and pointed out I used reedy's in the early 90's and just returned to RC expecting there would be parts. They got straight back to me - I mailed the motor back to them and they sent a replacement. You WONT get that service with Hobbyking nor do they stock any parts atm.

On a sidenote - The Trackstar (stealing their name again) Tyre Warmer is from the same factory and is identical to the GFORCE (japan) which retails for about twice the price over there. Possibly the same as the SKYRC warmer which has a different operating button system.

My warmer works perfect and is basic to use. I bought a HK/Turnigy 500w power supply and Quattro charger which work great too. I'
m not affilliated with HK in any way.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The good thing about the Trackstar motors is that if you do burn one up, the cost of a new motor is still less than the cost of a name-brand stator.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Last edited by CL; 02-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just bought a 21.5 to try out in my f1 car. running a novak currently and its pretty fast. just started gearing down a bit to see if i could get it to go faster and i almost have that sweet spot gearing on the motor. ill test out the trackstar and see if i can find that sweet spot also so i can compare. i also have the trackstar warmer and really like it. not much use for carpet as its still to wet and rainy and cold here in nw washington. but i cant wait to hit the asphalt. hopefully the new motor will serve me well.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragonracing
just bought a 21.5 to try out in my f1 car. running a novak currently and its pretty fast. just started gearing down a bit to see if i could get it to go faster and i almost have that sweet spot gearing on the motor. ill test out the trackstar and see if i can find that sweet spot also so i can compare. i also have the trackstar warmer and really like it. not much use for carpet as its still to wet and rainy and cold here in nw washington. but i cant wait to hit the asphalt. hopefully the new motor will serve me well.

I am curious to know what your gearing results will end up being. I have a F104(silver can right now) and only use trackstars in my fleet of RC's.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

the novak im running currently is a 97/34 in 64 pitch. im going to drop another tooth on the pinion to a 33. i went up from a 95 to the 97 at our last club race and gained a bit of acceleration on the straight (blew by one of my rivals) and decided i needed to drop another tooth or two. will be interesting to see where the gearing lands. the novak is 1800kv and the trackstar is 1855. not alot of difference but might make the difference in the end.

i will keep this updated. i should have the motor by mid week next week. HK USA warehouse is about 60 miles away from me. so shipping is pretty fast.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

been running mine in my 12th car, geared at 44/88, 43mm rears so rollout of 67.5, timing on max, definatly seemed like a fast car, hopefully driving it again on tue, but this time, with the timing above maximum, dremeled part of the sensor so i can advance it above its max.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

anybody know if the 21.5 trackstar motor is on the roar approval list? of has it been submitted for approval? im planning on running it in my mo5 mini for the tcs and club racing.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anybody know if the 21.5 trackstar motor is on the roar approval list? of has it been submitted for approval? im planning on running it in my mo5 mini for the tcs and club racing.
technically not on the approved list due to not meeting availability requirements, but have passed Roar inspection.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000034

Beth.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

so whats holding these guys up? its available thru hobbyking. $40 pretty cheap and they sound like they are performers. so whats the hold up ROAR?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so whats holding these guys up? its available thru hobbyking. $40 pretty cheap and they sound like they are performers. so whats the hold up ROAR?
they have to be available at 3 hobby shops to be approved.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Part of the ROAR regs is it needs to be available through multiple retail outlets iirc. Only place I know of to get the Turnigy motors is through HK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.