Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

New LRP Flow Esc

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Waiting for these to hit more hobby shops. Im sure they will be popular.

Last edited by wkderf; 01-25-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torg
planned to be offered, with no announced date. so not currently supported.

Counting blinkies.... with blinkies changing with each firmware...

no thank you...
It is a big let down, especially now the hw xr10 can match the braking performance and even has a wifi module for setups. LRP needs to step up their game.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Having driven with both the XR10 and the Flow ESC, I can say that in terms of braking, the hobbywing is NOWHERE close to the Flow ESC. I just made the switch to LRP from Hobbywing for this very reason.

While the Hobbywing can brake well, I never was able to get really aggressively hard braking out of it. With LRP, I can brake later and harder, which means I can go faster. I was able to shave 3/10ths off my last times just from making the switch.

LRP is a small, and patient company. Considering how small the company actually is, I'm actually surprised they are able to have as big a share of the market as they do.

Im sure they will release their external programming device when its ready.

Until then, I have no problem counting blinkies, it if means having a better performing ESC, which I honestly feel the LRP is.

Take a look at the equipment listings from racers in major competitions. 2 years ago, hobbywing was everywhere, but now I see A LOT more LRP. Even amongst the club racers at my local track, LRP has essentially replaced hobbbywing as the go-to ESC.

Last edited by wkderf; 01-25-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wkderf
Having driven with both the XR10 and the Flow ESC, I can say that in terms of braking, the hobbywing is NOWHERE close to the Flow ESC. I just made the switch to LRP from Hobbywing for this very reason.

While the Hobbywing can brake well, I never was able to get really aggressively hard braking out of it. With LRP, I can brake later and harder, which means I can go faster. I was able to shave 3/10ths off my last times just from making the switch.

LRP is a small, and patient company. Considering how small the company actually is, I'm actually surprised they are able to have as big a share of the market as they do.

Im sure they will release their external programming device when its ready.

Until then, I have no problem counting blinkies, it if means having a better performing ESC, which I honestly feel the LRP is.

Take a look at the equipment listings from racers in major competitions. 2 years ago, hobbywing was everywhere, but now I see A LOT more LRP. Even amongst the club racers at my local track, LRP has essentially replaced hobbbywing as the go-to ESC.
have you switched to linear brake mode? I've been very critical towards HW in the past for the braking performance but after I switched to linear brake mode on the XR10 the brake strength is on par with LRP for me. The traditional brake mode is garbage. I used to use LRP flow exclusively for racing and the performance is amazing. Just hope they can provide the programing card soon so I don't have to count led blinks very time.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Approximately 8 channels with 10 seconds per channel. Programmed in just over 1 minute, why all the fuss over the blinking?

No need to buy / carry / lose a programming device
Surely it's not that much better guys and girls if we are being realistic?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
have you switched to linear brake mode? I've been very critical towards HW in the past for the braking performance but after I switched to linear brake mode on the XR10 the brake strength is on par with LRP for me. The traditional brake mode is garbage. I used to use LRP flow exclusively for racing and the performance is amazing. Just hope they can provide the programing card soon so I don't have to count led blinks very time.
I tried changing every parameter on the XR10, and let me say that I wasn't UNHAPPY with its performance. It wasn't until I drove someone else car with an LRP, that I was able to experience the stopping-on-a-dime braking that I just wasn't able to get with the Hobbywing.

Originally Posted by Nat Maniac
Approximately 8 channels with 10 seconds per channel. Programmed in just over 1 minute, why all the fuss over the blinking?

my point exactly. Is an external programming device nice to have? sure. Does it make programming easier? sure. But can I still get the job done with the LRP? Absolutely. and after seeing the performance difference between the 2, I'm more than happy to count some blinks if it means the car will perform better out on the track.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

how does the flow X compare with the old flow TW? looking at upgrading but i dont think it is ROAR approved as yet does anyone know?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nat Maniac

Well you had to pay $30+ for the very poor "LRP USB Bridge Spec.2 Speedo Firmware Update+PC Link" just to update the firmware. So the cost savings is not there unless you're running 1.4.

It would have been SO trivial for them to add software settings as well.

Or do like many others and have an all in one updater/programming box.

A program box is infinitely better than what the LRP did/does. The only other ESC I own that does that is some ancient NOVAK.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by torg
Well you had to pay $30+ for the very poor "LRP USB Bridge Spec.2 Speedo Firmware Update+PC Link" just to update the firmware. So the cost savings is not there unless you're running 1.4.

It would have been SO trivial for them to add software settings as well.

Or do like many others and have an all in one updater/programming box.

A program box is infinitely better than what the LRP did/does. The only other ESC I own that does that is some ancient NOVAK.
I have used and own many different speedies with program cards and I agree it is easier to program but the LRP is by far better in power and brakes then all of them. 😀
Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kyosho_utah
So I have 2 flows with no switch. I just use the battery to turn them on/off. Which I'm totally fine with,but the only problem is I can't get the firm ware link to connect to it. I'm assuming because it thinks the switch is on? Any way to get around this?
Try another sensorcable... my ESC connect fine without the on/off switch :-)
Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Can I still cut off the on/off switch on the new Flow X??
Has anybody done that??
Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. Jepsen
Can I still cut off the on/off switch on the new Flow X??
Has anybody done that??
Live dangerously
Just do it!

... But seriously I don't have one yet
Old 01-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hanulec
Live dangerously
Just do it!

... But seriously I don't have one yet
It works fine without the on/off switch, I have very carefully tested it and nothing went wrong.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

I don't know why guys are so anxious to cut the switches off their speedos. I ran different ones for over 20+ yrs. and never had one fail, so what's the reason behind this? Sure hurts the sale of this item down the road. (jmo)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Switches = failure
In racing, there is no reason for your ESC go be off unless the battery is unplugged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.