Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum DX3r Pro or Futaba 4PKS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Spektrum DX3r Pro or Futaba 4PKS

I am trying to decide between these 2 radios. I will be running a variety of classes, from indoor carpet, to nitro, to electric off-road. I'd really like to here some pro's and cons from people that use these systems. Thanks for any insight!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BBQ-Bandito
I am trying to decide between these 2 radios. I will be running a variety of classes, from indoor carpet, to nitro, to electric off-road. I'd really like to here some pro's and cons from people that use these systems. Thanks for any insight!
The DX3R is less expensive by far.

Do you plan on using a lot of mixing functions? If yes then go with the 4PKS.

Lighter weight - DX3R.

Racing about equal.

Bashing, the 4PKS may have a little better range depending on set up.

Receiver cost, about the same for the top end receivers. The DX3R is backward compatible with all Spektrum surface receivers.

Now the big question, How does if feel when you hold it?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, a big difference in price. I am looking more at, is the Futaba worth it? Is it that much better? I am willing to pay if it is because either will see much use. I'm not sure about the mixing. I have gotten further and further involved in racing to the point I have about 8 cars,trucks, and buggies. I like the feel of the Spektrum, have not even actually held the Futaba. I don't do any bashing at all, strictly surface racing indoor and outdoor. I currently have a few different radios I'm using and I'm tired of carrying all the various stuff around.. I need to consolidate!!! lol!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

I went from the Futaba 3PKS to the Spektrum DX3R Pro for the weight difference. I was using the Spektrum module and receivers so for me the move to Spektrum was a given since I have 12 receivers (about $1,300 to switch to FASST). The DX3R has a 50 model memory so you have plenty of slots to store each set up. I found that programming it is easier but I'm used to the Futaba menus so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

After using it for racing on-road (1/12 scale mod & stock and WGT), off-road (SCT 2wd, 1/10 2wd mod buggy and 1/8 e-buggy) for over a year I can say that I never had any issues what so ever with the DX3R Pro. It's light and faster than I can think so my connection feels immediate.

You get all the parts to remove the drop down wheel (which I did because I didn't care for the drop down with either the Futaba or Spektrum).

Bottom line was that I was able to buy a top quality radio and can utilize all my receivers by just rebinding them. The money I saved enabled me to buy a Futaba 4PL to use with my crawlers since it has all the nice crawler mixes pre-programmed.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks alot for your time and responses.. You are seriously convincing me to go with the Spektrum. Next day at the track I'm going to try to check them both out a little closer. I have friends that are using both, but of course they are totally biased...lol. I'd like to at least hold the futaba and have someone go thru the menu's, same with the DX3r.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I dislike the spektrums because they have a really light steering feel. To me, having a bit of resistance there makes fine steering adjustment easier (or at least it does in my head). The 4PKS lets you at least adjust the tension on both steering and throttle, as do the other top end brands like KO Propo and Sanwa.

Pretty sure you can't do that on the DX3R.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silvalis
I dislike the spektrums because they have a really light steering feel. To me, having a bit of resistance there makes fine steering adjustment easier (or at least it does in my head). The 4PKS lets you at least adjust the tension on both steering and throttle, as do the other top end brands like KO Propo and Sanwa.

Pretty sure you can't do that on the DX3R.
Steering tension on the DX3R is adjustable (page 24 of the manual). I found that I like the factory tension and it feels almost identical to that of the 4PKS.

BBQ has the best plan and that is to try out his friends radios before choosing one or the other.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Have you considered the 4pl? I was debating between the 3r pro and 4pl and ended up with the futaba, mostly because I got a smoking deal on it, but it retails for less and the 3r does nothing more that I'd ever use. I also find the spectrum radios all feel cheap. The only reason I recommend ever going spectrum is if you have alot of cars (cheap receivers) or want telemetry. I have/want neither so I went with Futaba, and the 4pks has nothing more that I'd ever use/notice so I didn't go that route either. I say its all about the feel, you'll be the one holding it so its your call.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Try looking into KO PROPO EX-1 K.I.Y.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
Have you considered the 4pl? I was debating between the 3r pro and 4pl and ended up with the futaba, mostly because I got a smoking deal on it, but it retails for less and the 3r does nothing more that I'd ever use. I also find the spectrum radios all feel cheap. The only reason I recommend ever going spectrum is if you have alot of cars (cheap receivers) or want telemetry. I have/want neither so I went with Futaba, and the 4pks has nothing more that I'd ever use/notice so I didn't go that route either. I say its all about the feel, you'll be the one holding it so its your call.
I have both and the 4PL feels about the same as the DX3R but the steering feel is lighter. The overall weight has the 4PL at about an ounce heavier. This is without the drop down wheel on the DX3R.

The best part of the 4PL is that the receivers are half the price at $30 to $50 each NEW.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

The 4Pl is your real competitor to the DX3R I would go for the spektrum but if you're racing the Futaba seems better too bad all I can afford is an el cheapo Fly-Sky FSGT3B I really want a DX2S
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Based on ergonomics the 4PKS wins hands down, however once I start regearing I'm seriously considering a KO Euros or KIY if I have the money (HA)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Have you considered other radios??

The two best you can buy IMO for price, features, quality would be KO Propo EX-10 Eurus and Airtronics M11X or M11 with 2.4 module, they are both less expensive than the 4pks and better than the DX3R Pro. You can get an M11 with a 2.4ghz Module and Reciever for less than 200 bucks, and thats all you need.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Check out radiopost . 350$ radio and 2 receivers minus 25$ amain coupon .. really nice steering not light feelingtype .. receivers are not very expensive like others . Has swivel color screen. Etc etc .. for the price cant beat it .. even if price isnot a factor its up there wi th the m11x n 4pks n dx3r .. etc

Edit - mine is reaching soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Go with an M11x or 4PKS. They offer the best 'feel' hands down. Navigating the menus on the 4pks is much easier in my opinion, but the m11x is a better value. Choose your poison. They're both excellent radios. (4PKS owner)

KO Eurus is good as well, but not too popular unless you race Mini-z's. Navigation of the menus with the jog wheel is pretty simple though the tiny screen kinda sucks. DX3R Pro is not even in the same league. There's a reason it isn't branded under the JR name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.