Wiki Posts
Search

Help With Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help With Brushless

Hey everyone. II wan somewhat new to brushless and could use some help and advice. First question...If a brushless motor is 3300kv and another motor thay is 6600kv would the higher KV rating be the more powerful motor? Or the other way around (3300kv more powerful than the 6600kv)? Second question...How do you tell what turn of motor it is? Hopefully someone can help me understand better. Thanks for your time.

Jon
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SoCaL081
Hey everyone. II wan somewhat new to brushless and could use some help and advice. First question...If a brushless motor is 3300kv and another motor thay is 6600kv would the higher KV rating be the more powerful motor? Or the other way around (3300kv more powerful than the 6600kv)? Second question...How do you tell what turn of motor it is? Hopefully someone can help me understand better. Thanks for your time.

Jon
- the 6600kv will be totally different in speed and torque meaning it will be way faster and will have higher torque as well.

- its hard to put a turn on a motor that is just rated by kv due to a lot of motors out there varying in kv no matter what turn they are some will have higher then others even if the same turn so its hard to answer that one, but if i was to guess id say the 3300kv is close between a 13.5 or a 10.5 and the 6600kv around a 9.5 or a 8.5 but like i said its hard to put a turn on a motor without it being labeled

hope this helps
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sensorless brushless motors are typically RTR motors and Basher motors and are rated in Kv, the lower the KV number the lower the power output. Generally lower Kv ratings mean higher turns of the motor.

Sensored Brushless motors are generally rated in Turns, but also generally have a Kv rating if you browse the manufactures website or documentation included with the motor. The higher the turn the slower the motor, the lower the turns the more powerful the motor.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcduder
- the 6600kv will be totally different in speed and torque meaning it will be way faster and will have higher torque as well.
I think the torque is higher on lower kv motors.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LanceBuku
I think the torque is higher on lower kv motors.
From a mechanical standpoint given two 'similar' motors that should be the case, but in the absence of detailed motor specifications the relationship isn't as hard and fast as an interested consumer would like.

Drives me freaking crazy the lack of true specs in this field...
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lower KV motors have more torque
Higher KV motors have less torque but more top speed

Multiply the KV by the voltage given to the motor

ie - 3300 x 7.4v(2s lipo) = 24,420rpm
6600 x 7.4v = 48,840rpm

Lower kv motors are typically used for lower speed/smaller tracks, heavier cars/trucks and typically 4wd models.

Hope this helps
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PlayingDirty
Lower KV motors have more torque
Higher KV motors have less torque but more top speed

Multiply the KV by the voltage given to the motor

ie - 3300 x 7.4v(2s lipo) = 24,420rpm
6600 x 7.4v = 48,840rpm

Lower kv motors are typically used for lower speed/smaller tracks, heavier cars/trucks and typically 4wd models.

Hope this helps

Normally 4wd cars run higher kv motors because they need more power. while the torque is higher on a lower kv motor the hp is lower. there is a mathmatical equasion to figure horsepower that I dont remember but the jist of it is the torque of a motor is multiplied by rpm then divided by another number to give you the hp rating of a motor.

Higher kv motors make up for thier lack of torque in the gearing because they spin so much faster than the lower kv motors. Even though they have less torque they feel like they have more torque when geared properly and will be faster as well because of the increased rpm range of the motor.

Most 4wd off-road classes in racing are mod classes while most 2wd classes are stock (though there are exceptions to these rules) This is just talking about 1/10th scale of course. Moving up to larger scales (like 1/8th) the KV ratings go down but this is because the motors are much larger and produce more power (in part because of the increased voltage normally used) so there are exceptions to those rules as well.