Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Airtronics MT4 Drop Down By GridRC >

Airtronics MT4 Drop Down By GridRC

Like Tree4Likes

Airtronics MT4 Drop Down By GridRC

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Even if its $100 which is quite a bit (and hope its not that much) you still get a great radio $200 cheaper than the M12
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
Even if its $100 which is quite a bit (and hope its not that much) you still get a great radio $200 cheaper than the M12
Everybody isn't only comparing the MT4 to the M12, there are other radios out there . You would pay 100$ maybe, but I really doubt many others would. Whatever the engineering behind it, it's just a dropdown. You can't educate the people on the pricings, people buy what they feel has an adequate pricing looking at their own experience.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Make it and they will come ....

I remain keen for a drop down for my MT4

Carl
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinoy_rc View Post
GRID and the rest of the guys,
if you think the demand not meet not to continue the MT4 drop down project, you are totally wrong. here in ASIA it's about hundreds are using MT4. one proof is the online store hobbyking.com it's every week they are out stock. we ask them why they are only given 20 units per week, and started selling early this year. so how many do you think they sold. and how about the other stores.
agree or not, but MT4 users, are begging for the drop down wheel including myself.
drop down wheel is the only lack of MT4 to be the best radio ever. i saw some in our local track doing some drop down mod using plastic but a little rough on the craftmanship.
Smiley started this thread to ask for interest MT4 users to show their hands that wanted a drop down. Only a dozen came forward over a period of time.

Racers are buying the MT4 because it is position as their mass market and low cost radio. At the same time the M11X is still offered as their pro class radio and now the M12, both with drop downs.

If you guys in Asia really want a drop down for the MT4 we can produce one but it would be on a project based to see if MT4 owners will actually buy drop downs. We spoke with customers that bought back light kits, and they told us that they have no need for drop downs.

What we see are a small group of serious racers using a MT4, but how many racers using MT4 over the M11X and M12?

Your continued input is welcomed.

Team GRID

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 12-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my mt 4 and would buy a drop if it were available but not at the 100 dollar price someone else is willing to pay.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

I have all the radios, m11 , mt4 and the m12. I think the mt4 is a great starter radio i used it for half a season but inevitably went with the m12. I think the drop down idea is great as i use the m12 drop down and its very comfy. If you could add a back light and drop down upgrade to the mt4 i am sure allot of people would buy it as the mt4 is already super popular. Great idea guys !
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kash$ View Post
I have all the radios, m11 , mt4 and the m12. I think the mt4 is a great starter radio i used it for half a season but inevitably went with the m12. I think the drop down idea is great as i use the m12 drop down and its very comfy. If you could add a back light and drop down upgrade to the mt4 i am sure allot of people would buy it as the mt4 is already super popular. Great idea guys !
Since you have both MT4 and M12, do you see a performance difference between the two?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC View Post
Since you have both MT4 and M12, do you see a performance difference between the two?
Yes off course the wheel is silky smooth on the m12 and by narrowing the wheel turning radius and recalibrating the radio its very smooth. Its allot faster as well but you dont have to run it at the highest setting it comes at standard speed from the factory to let everyone get used to the zero latency speed between the m12 and the new receiver.. Overall the m12 is definitely for the serious racer giving you a alot more refinements than the mt4.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Everybody isn't only comparing the MT4 to the M12, there are other radios out there . You would pay 100$ maybe, but I really doubt many others would. Whatever the engineering behind it, it's just a dropdown. You can't educate the people on the pricings, people buy what they feel has an adequate pricing looking at their own experience.
Radio manufacturers like Futaba, Spektrum, Sanwa and KO reserve the drop down for only their flagship radios. Drop downs are preference options.

KO sells their drop down for $99 because the mold cost $15,000+ and only a small percentage of KO EX-1 sold will end up with the drop down.

For us to mill the drop downs for the MT4, unless well sell hundreds, a dozen that came forward from the last poll, would make the drop downs so pricey and unsellable.

Again, we are will to do this project provided MT4 owners really want them and willing to commit this time.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 12-19-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pinoy_rc View Post
here in ASIA it's about hundreds are using MT4. one proof is the online store hobbyking.com it's every week they are out stock. we ask them why they are only given 20 units per week, and started selling early this year. so how many do you think they sold. and how about the other stores.
Do these hundreds of MT4 owners want a drop down?

If they do, then we can start milling drop downs this weekend.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 12-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if i were you, for small run stuff liek this, get one peice machined and copy it with smooth on product.
they make all kinds of casting resins and im sure one of the task series would work flawlessly for this.
in most cases the product settles without bubbles in it, and if you use a silicon mold to copy the primary peice, the surface finish is copied perfectly.

its a two part resin that cures within half an hour. comes in all kinds of finishes, densities and implied purposes.
im going to make a chassis using it, just takes a little time to make molds.

for short run stuff like this, pay out for one peice to be machined, then copy with smoothon as many times as you like.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

+1 this is a technique we use in industrial design too
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by valk View Post
if i were you, for small run stuff liek this, get one peice machined and copy it with smooth on product.
they make all kinds of casting resins and im sure one of the task series would work flawlessly for this.
in most cases the product settles without bubbles in it, and if you use a silicon mold to copy the primary peice, the surface finish is copied perfectly.

its a two part resin that cures within half an hour. comes in all kinds of finishes, densities and implied purposes.
im going to make a chassis using it, just takes a little time to make molds.

for short run stuff like this, pay out for one peice to be machined, then copy with smoothon as many times as you like.
I don't think this method can produce a complex milled MT4 drop down with threaded holes.

MT4 owners would want a commercially produced drop down.

It also sounds very labor intensive. Can the final product from that method be plastic or aluminum?

Besides, we will wait for ONEKIWI report back on his search for customers that want the MT4 drop down, and PINOY RC's list of hundreds on MT4 owners in his Asia region that also want a drop down.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 12-22-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC View Post
and PINOY RC's list of hundreds on MT4 owners in his Asia region that also want a drop down.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Does that need to have threaded holes if this could make a one piece?
Or make it so there are nut holes or replacable bits to screw into?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service