Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics MX Sport vs FlySky FS-GT3B

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Airtronics MX Sport vs FlySky FS-GT3B

I have both of these transmitters. The MX Sport is a couple years old, and the FlySky is brand new. I sold my nitro Stampede to my mother in laws boyfriend. Which one should I keep and which should I give to him? I will be using whichever one I keep for my SC10RS and my custom Super Class rock crawler. I like the MX Sport, but the receivers are so expensive. It's enticing to keep the FlySky because of how cheap the receivers are because I need another receiver. I know one is name brand, and one is an off brand, but both have the same options.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Keep the airtronics. You can search Ebay for cheap used rx's. That Flysky is garbage. We had a guy at the local track that bought one for a back up just to try and the latency sucked. I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for... but Airtronics= quality that will last and good customer service. That Flysky is the disposable camera of radios...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think the Flysky is a great radio if you have the knowledge and patience to upgrade it. I got my upgrades from overkillrc.com and I think the radio is fantastic. I have owned or raced with Futaba, Airtronics, Spektrum and others, but I love my Flysky. My previous race radio was a Futaba FM with the HRS recievers, which I believe has better latency than any 2.4 on the market. I had no trouble jumping right in the new radio and equaling laptimes.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I say it's absurd to snub a great quality radio for something that is cheap, probably won't last, and has an unproven level of customer service. Like a real swiss army knife vs. a chinese knock-off. But to each their own. I have a 14 year old Airtronics radio that will probably survive a nuclear war .
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Realize.....

You know to each is to own, but in rc racing the smoothest driver will always beat the guys who tries to fly through the course! I have a Flysky and yes i can afford a KO or a M11x or Futaba.... but i have 6 cars and i would have spent hundreds to run them all using one of the bigger names... Out of the box the flysky is cool but modded with new firmware you can gain control over a lot more functions that most radios have... the signal quality is great never lost, never any problems binding.. great little radio!!! just a thought Hyundai was a laugh at company at first but look at them now nice machines!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, use both radios in the application you use the vehicles for, whether it is bashing or racing. If you feel no difference between them then keep the one that you are most comfortable with and fits your budget pertaining to receivers.

You will get mixed feelings on both but for the most part if you cannot tell the difference between the radios then it doesn't matter.

I have a updated Flysky, DX3C, and very soon a Airtronics MT-4.

Last edited by emag521; 03-19-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Lol that takes me back! I remember those cheapo fake swiss knives years ago as a kid. They were often so tight my little fingers couldnt open them, yet others you couldnt keep closed because they were so sloppy. Dont even think about actually cutting anything with them. But I think its funny you mention that, just the other day I used several tools on one of those knock-off Leatherman knives. The guy was so proud he paid $7 for it and said he uses it on everything. I actually liked it better than my old Leatherman Wave.

In some ways we are unfortunate, and in others we are fortunate, that Chinese manufacturing has greatly improved over the years. I would be willing to bet you could buy a knock-off Swiss knife now-a-days that would actually work pretty well....if you read some reviews and find out which one works well before you buy it.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Here's the thing though. Right now I am just backyard bashing. My MX Sport is nice, but its nothing special. Keep in mind it's only a $99 transmitter. The receivers are $50, and I have yet to come across one used in two years. I have not tried the FlySky yet, but I have read many great reviews from different websites. I'm not saying its better, but for my needs it might be nice to be able to afford new receivers. Not to mention I will be soon adding an Associated b4.1 to my fleet. For the price of two extra Airtronics receivers, I could buy a whole MX Sport system. That seems like a ripoff to me. My LHS is building a track, but it is going to be a "for fun" track. If by some chance I do get into racing more seriously, I wouldnt want to run either. I would spend some bank for a really nice transmitter. Unless I find the FlySky to be ridiculously bad during my testing, I will probably stick with that.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Have Both

I own both the Airtronics Sport & the FS gt3b, and both seem to perform reasonably well. My research tells me in the wheel there are some parts in the FS that are potentially wear area's and I've had the bind button to Malfunction. I was able to repair the bind button, my point here is that long term the FS has a higher % chance of breakage and/or Failure.
That said, there is so much technology and new Equipment coming out, at some Great prices. Also the radio replacement cost (aprox $35) is less than one Airtronics receiver.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

I've been using my RTR Losi LST2 40mhz radio with four receivers for years now(with no issues really to be honest, other than maybe nearly poking guys' eyes out on the drivers' stand with the antenna..), and recently decided to finally get a 2.4ghz radio. There was a great deal for a Spektrum DX3S w/2nd receiver, so I got it, despite having read about all the issues with it over the years.. And........, first day out, glitching at about 80 yds.

So, returned it, and got the Airtronics Sport (here rebadged by LRP)with second receiver for about 2/3 the price of the Spektrum deal. Wanted the MT-4, but it was too pricey for me just now. Anyway, so far so happy.. Feels solid(much moreso than the Spektrum), and no range issues on two outings.. I'm a bit new to radio threads, but I'm sold on Airtronics for now... MT-4-time when money picks up..

Also just put 2 and 2 together and realize that the Flysky is also available here - under a different name.. There's a discussion here btw that they cause interference for Spektrums..
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

It really seems like you guys are split right down the middle. You guys have to understand that I am all about name brand. All I fly in my helis is Spektrum. I wouldn't stray away for anything. I love it. I have thousands wrapped up in my helis, so a good name brand tx/rx is a no brainer. But I need to be reasonable when it comes to my rc trucks. For the time being I am just bashing around. My wife and I work opposite shifts, and we have a two year old. Finding time to get to the track is not easy. Spending $50 on a receiver just doesn't make sense. I always wondered how companies like Airtronics and Futaba can sleep at night know how much they rip us off when it comes to smalls like receivers. I just got a replacement antenna for my MX Sport that ran me almost $20. And like I said, if I by some chance get more serious about racing, I wouldn't want to run the MX Sport or the FlySky. I am really close to my mother in law and her boyfriend, so I could get the MX Sport back anytime I want.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Kind of unrelated to the topic but does anyone know what lipo to use in the MX Sport? 2s or 3s? Is it safe to use a lipo?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default the everyday RC argument

You know its funny in RC how everyone is either devoted or don't like a product.... i mean from tires to screws from esc's to radios...... it is and will always be TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSELF HOBBY!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
You know its funny in RC how everyone is either devoted or don't like a product.... i mean from tires to screws from esc's to radios...... it is and will always be TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSELF HOBBY!!!
Amen to this! I have seen heated arguments over which servo tape was best.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Amen to this! I have seen heated arguments over which servo tape was best.
So true. I can't even believe someone would argue the fact that Parma tape is hands down, THE best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.