Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I bought two and love them
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vinny73
All this jibber jabber BS just to make a point? What a waste of space!!

Been seeing these motors pop up at SDRC and the claims from some of the users is that, they really are damn fast! I say, would be nice to compare the specs to the Reedy Sonic motors. Will be nice to see a writeup giving us the info in comparison to the new spec motors out there. Reasonably priced. Anyone rip one yet?
Why is it jibber jabber to ask for specs and real data vs. hearsay and conjecture? Everyone who comes out says theirs is fantastic. I'm just saying... let's see something rather than the distributor's opinion of his own product.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lowroad
"some of THE fastest" got it, not "THE fastest", but isn't everything "some of the fastest"?

Alright, well anyway, as a consumer and potential customer, I will tell you that making such claims without numbers, comparisons, or specifics to back it up is kinda silly, but it's all good. I was interested, but I'll just buy something else. Sorry I even inquired.
Being from New Mexico Im sure you dont know the history behind these motors and who is behind them. In socal Ron Shuur is known as a motor god and has been building motors probably longer than I have been alive (27). There is not a doubt these motors are made of high quality materials and built to last. I have seen Travis Brock running this motor and it looks awesome, so awesome I have gotten in touch with Ron personally to get the full line brought in at my LHS. And as for your mindset on the distributor trying to push a product, Racecrafter is not your typical distributor. He is a pro driver who is very well respected in the r/c community. Point being I know you still havent gotten dyno results or a side by side comparison to other motors but dont let that turn you away from Shuur speed motors. If you race stock its the motor to have. How long have brushless motors been around? Not one company other than Shuur put the sensor harness in a less vulnerable spot. That alone screams innovation and experience at hand.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

well, I'm not going to argue, but others have moved the sensor wire location. Hobbyking, dualsky, a few others. I'm not implying racecrafter is pushing crap, or anything of the sort. I just want some specs, not guesses and tales of fast guys winning. Ah well. I will move on with my day. I'm really not trying to be a bad guy here, but apparently people want it so. Run whatver motor you like and have fun.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Aw shucks I forgot all about hobbyking
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chaseman1
Aw shucks I forgot all about hobbyking
Haha you have the specs for that motor chasman.....ron is also a super nice guy that has helped me with my icon motor a few times,that and just being a super nice guy always willing to help out fellow would be a reason to support Ron and his product,and there fast!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

i cant wait to get my 17.5 motor to try out
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Talking about specs reminds me of the days when regular brushed motors came with dyno print outs with watt numbers & other power numbers...it was all just more hype to buy that motor since none of the competitors motors were dynoed at the same voltages. I don't think any of the leading motor manufacturers have dyno numbers now & pretty much rely on their brand name or word of mouth to sell...Ron knows motors so I would be completely confident in purchasing his product.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BLbound
Talking about specs reminds me of the days when regular brushed motors came with dyno print outs with watt numbers & other power numbers...it was all just more hype to buy that motor since none of the competitors motors were dynoed at the same voltages. I don't think any of the leading motor manufacturers have dyno numbers now & pretty much rely on their brand name or word of mouth to sell...Ron knows motors so I would be completely confident in purchasing his product.
All manufacturers give kv, not "around", and most give wattage and efficiency. It's really not a lot to ask. What's the rotor diameter?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's really not a lot to ask.
+1; this isn't rocket surgery. I'm new to the hobby, had dirt bikes before (got hurt x4) and 1:1 project cars now, and I find the lack of actual data in this hobby astounding. It's almost all hearsay, and some is downright ridiculous. I don't know anything about these motors, nor am I slamming them, but it seems like someone who's going to throw down a C-note for a small electric motor would demand hard data to make a decision on.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Why is it jibber jabber to ask for specs and real data vs. hearsay and conjecture? Everyone who comes out says theirs is fantastic. I'm just saying... let's see something rather than the distributor's opinion of his own product.
Although we do sell them, we are not the distributor nor is this "our product".
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

All manufacturers give kv, not "around", and most give wattage and efficiency. It's really not a lot to ask. What's the rotor diameter?
If you would have simply gone to shuurspeed.com you would already know the rotor size.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by porterdog
+1; this isn't rocket surgery. I'm new to the hobby, had dirt bikes before (got hurt x4) and 1:1 project cars now, and I find the lack of actual data in this hobby astounding. It's almost all hearsay, and some is downright ridiculous. I don't know anything about these motors, nor am I slamming them, but it seems like someone who's going to throw down a C-note for a small electric motor would demand hard data to make a decision on.
To quote an extremely famous engine builder: "We don't race dyno's." "I can print anything on a piece of paper and show you what you want to see." "The proof is standing right there in the winners circle."

And with that, yes a motor by itself will not make you a winner. It is simply a large piece of the performance puzzle. So when you think you have the talent to race the local fast guys and win you will need that piece.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Selling/distributing, whatever....

Look, I was interested in the motors. I asked some pertienent questions. It wasn't an attack on the holy god of scoal racing motors, nor a call for the members of the local boys club to take up arms and defend this guy or that.

It's a motor, I wanted specs, that's it. When I buy a 350 chevy crate motor, I want to know the horsepower and torque, because it varies greatly and everyone claims to be the fastest. It's not dyno racing, it's called being informed before making a purchase. I'm over it. You have all talked me right out of it. Congrats.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
"I can print anything on a piece of paper and show you what you want to see."
Not with standardized test methods you can't. That's exactly what got Honda into trouble; Google SAE J2723. Admittedly, 2723 is an IC engine standard but there are tests for electric motors. Most manufacturers would probably rather obfuscate than have their product revealed as inferior.

Gonna get me one o' them purple ones- *they* look fast!

Again- *nothing* against the motors in this thread; don't know anything about them. Just wish that some degree of scientific rigor was present in this hobby. (You wouldn't buy a servo without specs, would you? Why is this any different?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.