The forums Dumbest Battery Question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The forums Dumbest Battery Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default The forums Dumbest Battery Question?

OK, my question might be this forums official Dumbest question ever. Its regarding Batteries.
Back in the 70s, my dad bought me a new Jerobee / Jomac 1/12 scale Lightning 2000 onroad car. So I have decided to clean up all my old Vintage RC cars from the 70s. All my Tamiyas and this one.

The question is, This car used a 6 cell saddle pack type of battery, I know they are GEs, I think they are Nicads also. The batteries (2 sets) came new covered in a black rubber type covering, very similar to the stuff you would dip your tool handles in to get a rubber handle on them. The wiring and connector on these batteries are rare.

I want to know do you guys think these batteries could be brought back to life after 30+ years? I told you guys it was a dumb question.

I want to keep everything original, and wish those same batteries could be brought back to life some how ? I do have 2 sets, and have thought about purchasing 6 new cells, and carefully remove the original wiring, and attempt to solder those wires to the new cells, and find the black rubber dip and re-dip the batteries to make it original and have the car to Run on the bench one more time. I will not run it on the ground at all. Since all the parts on it are in great shape, no cracks, just a few scratches on the bottom of the chassis.

Is there any HOPE at all for those 30 year old batteries?

Here is a link of a car just like it. Mine is one of the first ones, it was sold without the lightened/cut out chassis like the one on the box cover, mine have all blue plastic parts and came with the blue Lola body.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.ph...=3193&start=15
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Is this True? Has anyone ever tried doing this to bring Batteries back to Life?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Brin...-Back-To-Life/