Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
power supply questions(using multiple chargers? >

power supply questions(using multiple chargers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

power supply questions(using multiple chargers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default power supply questions(using multiple chargers?

shopping for a power supply. i have a 200 watt charger that can handle 10-18voltage input. i have been charging directly from my truck battery, but i bought an enclosed trailer to pit out of.

if i buy a power supply that supplies 600 watts and 17 volts, can i run 3 200 watt chargers? or would i need a power supply that does 600 watts and 51 volts?

also in my trailer is a car cd player. i will use this power supply to power the cd player too...if i have the supply set to 17 volts will it fry the cd player??

thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its about watts, so the voltage doesn't add up.

There is some inefficiency in chargers, to generate 200watts, you'll typically have to supply the charger with 220-240watts depending on the charger's exact efficiency. iCharger says their chargers are about 10% and testing shows that's about right. Others have higher inefficiency, haven't seen any lower. Best to plan on 20% extra - that's pretty standard for sizing PSs.

So to run 3 200watt chargers at 200watts, plan on 660watts PS with appropriate voltage, like the 17v you mentioned. If you're not going to run all 3 chargers at full power all the time, 600watts would prob do most everything you'd ask of it.

Don't know about the CD player - it should indicate what voltage or range it requires.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

shouldnt fry it but i cant prove it.. i have been an auto tech for 20 years.. most car systems will never get over 15volts.. if a alternator gets above 15v generally everything works ok and then the customer gets it fixed.. but the newer cars shut down things as voltage or apms gets above set standards.. all you can do is try it or look for specs through the radio manufacturer.. jeremy
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Back in the cb radio days, and high power linears, the rule of thumb was to always buy as big of a power supply as you could never use. That way, you wouldn't be maxing it out all of the time. If you're pulling 20 amps, get a 30 amp power supply so that puppy will live!

Also, a larger power supply will have less ripple voltage when loads are applied. So if you're charging at 10 amps with a 20 amp power supply, the voltage will more than likely stay closer to where it's set, as the ps isn't working as hard to keep up. This was important back in the nicd and nimh days to keep the charger that was running from false peaking when the second charger was started.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a Imax duo on its way (same as the pro tek prodigy)
http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1031&view=1031
& I all ready have a 13.8v 20a DC power supply.

Because Im paranoid that the 20a will not cut it with 2 x 4s 5200mah 50c lipos fast charging at the same time, I have just ordered a sencond 30a DC power supply that says its a perfect match for my charger
http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1156&view=1156

The charger says a max of 18v input & the power supply link above says it will handle 26v
What volts/amps do I have to set the power supply to meet the fast charge requirements ?

cheers
Tomac2

Last edited by Tomac2; 01-15-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys....have a look at revolectrix chargers and PS. all available online factory direct fron Singapore. Google will help you find them