Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Team Orion Vortex R8 Pro ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got word on my R8 Pro from Horizon. Backorder! What a horrible experience I'm having with this thing. I decided to take a chance and go with Orion instead of Tekin (What I typically run) and it completely bit me in the ass. ESC showed up and had zero top-end when run with my Orion 2100KV Motor (Which runs perfectly with my Tekin RX8) and now it's back at Horizon for repair and all they tell me is it's backordered now. I'm about to figure out if I can get my money back for this POS. Just a lemon as far as I'm concerned now.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

any one running these with good luck?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
any one running these with good luck?
The Pros like Tebo and Cody King who have unlimited access to them if they take a dump. I got mine on what had to have been one of the 1st shipments of them, it had a total of ten minutes of run time on it before it smoked itself. Now it's at Horizon and it's current status is just 'Backorder' no clue as to when I'll be getting it back. Nothing like dishing out $200 for an ESC to dump on me before I even raced it and then not have a clue when I'll be seeing it again. Great Customer Service...!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

I'm still having great luck with mine! And I have not been taking it easy on the ESC either, I have been running about 12-15 packs a week through it since I have had it and only had the fan blades break ( I ended up removing the complete fan assembly ). Thats weird that yours had no topend, deffinitly somethings up with it, on the stock settings it made my 1700kv run as fast or a little faster than the Tekin R8 with a 2050kv but alot smoother. I bought a spare Orion just in case I had some failures but it's looking like it will be sitting in the box for awhile.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patxeik
so it the orion is the same thing as the xerun 150A, why orion claims 180A?

I had a xerun 150A and it was great, much better than my mamba monster but in reliability nobody beats the MMM.

Can anybody post inside pics of the r8 so we can see if we found some diferences? i can post pics of a burnt xerun ehheeh
+1
was wondering the same thing about the 150A/ 180A ratings. Want to know if the hobbywing 150A IS the same as the Orion R8 pro. anyone?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

They are all made by hobbywing but they get some differences.

The Orion's are a little more evolved.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

I got one and it took a dump has green and red light on and wont send power/signal to motor and on top of that the motor is super loud and needed to be sent out as well. they are both out of warranty and called horizon hobbies they said they do not repair anything and told me to go buy a new ones

I've had nothing but good luck with anything thats Orion and wanted to send it to get fixed now i have to buy new? Looks like I will only buy Tekin now
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been running one for a few months now. Responsiveness and smoothness are much better than the tekin.

As for as durability. Your experience may vary. These are esc's and they do fail. I went with the orion/hobbywing cause personally i have seen more tekins fail/catch fire than any others, and even though through the military discount i could have had one for a low cost, I didnt want to risk it going out. That and the cool carbonfiber tape wrap on the orion.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

mine has been great in my corr truck and escale
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RePeTe
I have been running one for a few months now. Responsiveness and smoothness are much better than the tekin.
+1
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Removing/replacing fan

Anyone know how to get to the fan on these I removed the 4 screws from the bottom and pulled the bottom off but that didn't seem to get me no where?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sorry to hear that a couple have had bad experiences with your esc's...

Just to clear up the differences between the Hobbywing and the Orion stuff... Hobbywing produces the esc for Orion to Orion's specs. The Orion esc has higher quality internal components than the Hobbywing and the biggest difference of all is the software. It was 100% developed by Orion.

So, you might not see a big difference visually but there is in fact a BIG difference between the two.

etothez, be patient and give the replacement Orion a chance, although this has been a total pain in the ... I think you'll be happy once you have a chance to give it a fair comparison to the rest.

I highly doubt you'll have any more problems as long as things are good on your end.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default How to replace fan in R8 Pro (180A, 2-6S)

I have the same question as bigBoyBigToy. The fan on my ESC broke the second time I used it. Where can I get a new fan??? I called Horizon support today and they have to check with Orion ... so I am waiting to hear back from them. I can replace the fan if I can just find a replacement!

Also, I have not taken the ESC apart yet. Should I expect any issues when trying to remove and replace the broken fan?

One of the reasons we abandoned Tekin and went with this new RX8 is because the fans on the Tekins wouldn't last at ALL (had a brand new one stop working literally 3 minutes after installing it). The Orion R8 is MUCH smoother than the Tekin, and was running at about 150 degrees after a 13 minute session, but is now running about 185 after 7 minutes of runtime with the broken fan.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RePeTe

As for as durability. Your experience may vary. These are esc's and they do fail. I went with the orion/hobbywing cause personally i have seen more tekins fail/catch fire than any others, and even though through the military discount i could have had one for a low cost, I didnt want to risk it going out. That and the cool carbonfiber tape wrap on the orion.
*Sadly* I was considering one of these as well. It also helps that Kyosho/Team orion sponsored driver is local to me, so getting help shouldn't be an issue.

I had 3 on my list, Tekin, LRP and Orion/HW/SpeedPassion.

I'm sorta biased on the Tekin since "EVERYONE" seems to be running it and I don't want to be a Sheep. The LRP is Sexy, but the price isn't. The Orion/HW is pretty nice. The HW/SP is appealing and since I have experience with the HW and SP ESCs and their programming etc, it seems logical. I just don't like the wait. The HW is affordable, but then there's the issue of warranty.

Decisions........ Decisions........... Decisions........
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
*Sadly* I was considering one of these as well. It also helps that Kyosho/Team orion sponsored driver is local to me, so getting help shouldn't be an issue.

I had 3 on my list, Tekin, LRP and Orion/HW/SpeedPassion.

I'm sorta biased on the Tekin since "EVERYONE" seems to be running it and I don't want to be a Sheep. The LRP is Sexy, but the price isn't. The Orion/HW is pretty nice. The HW/SP is appealing and since I have experience with the HW and SP ESCs and their programming etc, it seems logical. I just don't like the wait. The HW is affordable, but then there's the issue of warranty.

Decisions........ Decisions........... Decisions........
I have been running mine for about 6 months with zero problems. Great ESC and love the programming ability with the box. I also run the Orion 1750 motor.[/I]

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.