Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo voltage problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipo voltage problem

Was using two 2s (gens ace 5000mah) on my mugen eco, then I stopped for no particular reason and checked the voltage, one of the cells was at 5.08v !! and the other at 2.51v !!! WTH!! the other lipo was fine and the buggy didn't had any problems at all. I stopped using them just in case but now my charger says theres an overcharge error (2.51 and 5.08v). The lipos were balanced at 4.19 and 4.20 before using them and they didn't got hot or swelled.

Have no idea how did this happened
Any advice?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it sounds like you battery came apart in side. so when you were running it ,it down loaded one side.. in other words the battery is a toast.. sorry
Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i Agree with chucko. You can try recovering that lipo... Use the balance charger port and isolate the 2 batteries positve and negative poles. Charge the one with 2.51v back to 3.0v using the NiMH settings at low Ampere. Stop the charging if it get past 3.0v and rest it for about 5mins and see if it maintains the voltage.

If it does maintain it, then you are lucky, chancess are you didn't damage it.

Now isolate the other batery with the 5.08v, and use a 4 to 6v dc motor (a small FA-130 type would be good enough) or a 6.0v light bulb to drain it back to 3.0v.

Again rest the battery and see if it maintains the charge. If it does, cycle it twice (balance charge to full-rest-and then discharge) before using it.

HTH
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'd say you're reading 2 cells when getting 5.08 volts. I stated on the other thread that it is nearly impossible to happen under the circumstances given.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote
i Agree with chucko. You can try recovering that lipo... Use the balance charger port and isolate the 2 batteries positve and negative poles. Charge the one with 2.51v back to 3.0v using the NiMH settings at low Ampere. Stop the charging if it get past 3.0v and rest it for about 5mins and see if it maintains the voltage.

If it does maintain it, then you are lucky, chancess are you didn't damage it.

Now isolate the other batery with the 5.08v, and use a 4 to 6v dc motor (a small FA-130 type would be good enough) or a 6.0v light bulb to drain it back to 3.0v.

Again rest the battery and see if it maintains the charge. If it does, cycle it twice (balance charge to full-rest-and then discharge) before using it.

HTH
Thanks for your help!
Could you be more specific on how to isolate them?
Already emailed hobbypartz and they responded, will wait if they want me to send it back. If not I will try what you suggested.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gulio
I'd say you're reading 2 cells when getting 5.08 volts. I stated on the other thread that it is nearly impossible to happen under the circumstances given.
Makes sense, they're both problably at ~2.5v and the car didn't shutdown because the other pack was fine.