Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EZRUN brushless combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? EZRUN brushless combo

I recently bought an EZRUN 35A / 9T 4300 brushless combo. Im waiting on a Spur for my EXT2 so I put it in my buddys Stampede to c what it would do. After a few min of running it shut down, and I assumed it was the overheat kickin in. After a few min i reconnected the batt n turned on the ESC. Right away the diode or resistor (the black thing on top of the heat sync) got hot n one of the legs the connects it to the board burnt in half. I looked inside the esc n nothing else seems to b burnt or out of place. Does anyone know what in the world could have caused this. Im running a 3s 11.1v lipo, but ive seen that done lots of times w/o hurting anything.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

could be a fake. There are lots of fakes on ebay.
The fakes dont seem to be reliable
Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Could you have overgeared it?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PrestonHays44
I recently bought an EZRUN 35A / 9T 4300 brushless combo. Im waiting on a Spur for my EXT2 so I put it in my buddys Stampede to c what it would do. After a few min of running it shut down, and I assumed it was the overheat kickin in. After a few min i reconnected the batt n turned on the ESC. Right away the diode or resistor (the black thing on top of the heat sync) got hot n one of the legs the connects it to the board burnt in half. I looked inside the esc n nothing else seems to b burnt or out of place. Does anyone know what in the world could have caused this. Im running a 3s 11.1v lipo, but ive seen that done lots of times w/o hurting anything.
Sounds like you burned it out by using too low of a turn motor with two high of a voltage. That combo probably pulled more amps than that little ESC could take. The 3 cell off road recommendation is >18T motor.

Direct from HW's site:
1.6 Suitable Brushless Motor:
With 4-6 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2 cells Lipo: On-Road≥9T, Off-Road≥12T;
With 6-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 3 cells Lipo: On-Road≥12T, Off-Road≥18T;
Old 08-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

What do you mean by fake, I dont know anything about fakes because I am new to this.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PrestonHays44
What do you mean by fake, I dont know anything about fakes because I am new to this.
Lots of EZruns sold on ebay arnt genuine ezruns.
Fake means it isnt a real ezrun, its a copy with an ezrun sticker on it.
the fakes arnt reliable .
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It could be a fake, but I would bet the more likely issue is more than one issue. First, the 35A/finned motor combos are not good for a Stampede. They are meant for 12th scale and ultra lightweight 10th scale. It will work if you are careful (or lucky) with the gearing and battery choice, but it is far from ideal. I would recommend the 60A/true 540 size motor for a Pede minimum. Second, like I mentioned in the first reason, gearing is super critical with that setup in that truck to ensure it does not draw too much current and start cooking things. I would also ask if you removed the fan or rewired it at all. The instructions will tell you the way the fan is wired is NOT recommended for 3s lipo. Once things start to heat up way too hot there is a number of components that could be damaged, even if the fan still works.