Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RC car help needed... >

RC car help needed...

RC car help needed...

Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation RC car help needed...

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right place to post. Im new to the forum and signed up mainly in the hope of get help with some info I require. so here goes...

I'm a new comer to the whole RC car world and I need to get a heck load of information about RC's and the way it works with regards to power distribution and voltage etc.
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask and hopefully get solved before I go any further. Here I go,

Btw. I'm a complete noob so expect the worst.

FIRSTLY, I'm assuming the 't' in 25t means torque? If I'm right then yay! But even so, I need to know more about motors. Can the torque tell me what kind of voltage can pass through the motor? If not then what? Which leads to the next question.

SECONDLY, how can I tell what kind of voltage can pass through a motor? Does R540 mean anything? It's a type of motor, that's all I know. Is there any sort of terminology for the amount of power a motor can take like '13v' for 13 Volts? Any thing?

THIRDLY, ESC's! I don't get them enough to understand. If its a 25a ESC I'm assuming it means 25 amps? What does this mean? 25 amps = ?. It can do what? Cook bread? Lol.

FOURTHLY, the servo... Does it require a certain amount of power? How can I tell? If I have a 11.6v battery hooked up to my esc will the esc send the right amount of power or to much?

FIFTHLY, can I hook two batterys to my car? I know how to do it, but how can I tell if my electronics can take it? Say like, a 11.6v + 7.2v = 18.8v? Right? How can I tell my esc can take it? What specs would my esc need to take that voltage? Amps perhaps? And if my esc can take it, will my motor be able for it also? And my servo?

SIXTHLY, while I'm at it, could someone explain to me what all this stuff about cells is with regards to battery's is? I have to idea other than there can be a certain amount of cells in a battery... And does it have anything to do with voltage in a battery?

SEVENTHLY, will the amount of cells in my battery affect the voltage in any way? Will it increse power to the esc and other components etc?

Well thanks for reading all that, much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Hope you can help me,

King regards,
Ryan.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Those are alot of questions, and there will be alot of information sent your way. The best thing I can tell you is ( I hate typing...fat fingers) go to a local track and ask your questions. Watch the races, and enjoy the hobby. Bring a pad of paper for notes The questions you are asking..could write a entire book from them
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok well thanks! I'll try that anyway lol I was expecting alot of info
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First and foremst, you should consider doing a bit of reading on the forums. You'll find all sorts of answers to anything that comes to mind...

1."t" in a motor refers to the numbers of turns or winds a motor has on each pole. So a 25t motor is a 25 turn or wind. without going into too much depth the lower the turn rating = the higher the rpm and lower the torque.

2. Generally and in most cases a 540 sized motor (most common size for 1/10th scale) can take around 7.4 volts. There are exceptions but those motors will have a spec sheet explaining their voltage intakes.

3. An esc (electronic speed control) usually has an amperage rating (25A in your example) which means it operates at its best when the batteries can supply at least the A rating. You'll see li-po batteries that give a C rating for discharge so if you multiply the capacity of the pack and the discharge rating you'll get how many amps the li-po pack can give your esc.

(example:5000mAh=5A..5Ax30C=150A discharge)

4. unless its a special high voltage servo, it normally takes 4.8 to 7.4 volts. If it isnt a high voltage servo, you can cause damage to it unless you have a BEC which can regulate voltage to the servo to appropriate levels.

5. Never put too much voltage and never mix packs of different voltage levels.

6. Depending on what type of pack you're using (Ni-MH or Li-Po) you'll see different cell descriptions.

Ni-Mh packs usually come in 6 or 7 cell packs which are 7.2 to 8.4 volt packs

li-Po come in all sorts of voltage levels and S type packs, the most common being 1S (3.7volts) 2S (7.4 volt) and 3S (11.1 volt). Some high powered packs can be found for speed controls that are manufactured for high voltage packs. (for example 1/8 scale electric brushless systems can take up to 6S packs (22.2 volts)

7. see #6 for voltage answers and see #5 for thoughts on voltage levels in esc...

Start reading up on all the information the forums can provide you...

welcome to the RC world, btw.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Thank you soo much man!! Really helped me out. Won't forget it!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Voltage help

Im trying to figure out exactly how much voltage my car can handle, On my esc fan it says 7.2 max but i dont see how that can be correct being that this RTR came with a 7.4 3600 the box is a pain being that its a universal box for several differant models!! Please help anything you can i can give more details on request thank you