Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP with Castle SCT Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HELP with Castle SCT Problems

I've just installed a Castle SCT into my SC10 FT. And i'm getting terrible glitching at the start of the throttle. I'm running a Savox 1258 Servo (also tried a Hitec 7955), Futaba 4PL radio/receiver and Turnigy 5000mah 2s 45c Lipos. The glitching only happens from the start of applying the throttle, forwards and reverse.

I've read a lot about problems and people suggesting an external bec and caps etc, but i've unplugged the servo and removed the pinion and it still does it so i don't think a cap or bec would help.

I've also tried rolling back the software to rev 1.30 and 1.31 but it's still the same.

Sorry for the long post, but i just wanted to put as much info as i can. Here is a video of the problem:

s48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/bikeneil/?action=view&current=MVI_3665.mp4
Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Try rolling farther back.....
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Have you calibrate the ESC to your transmitter with the throttle trim centered and throttle / brake travel (EPA's) at 100% ?

What are your ESC settings ?

Cheers
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
Have you calibrate the ESC to your transmitter with the throttle trim centered and throttle / brake travel (EPA's) at 100% ?

What are your ESC settings ?

Cheers
Yep, calibrated a few times. The settings are stock apart from lipo cutoff set at 6.4v. I've played about with the settings and nothing seems to make any difference
Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Try rolling farther back.....
I can only see verson 1.30, 1.31 and 1.32 ?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

What motors have you previously used in the car ?

Could be normal cogging associated with a sensorless motor

What battery are you using ?

What start power do you have configured in the ESC ?

Do you have a 3s battery to try ?

Easy enough to test if its bec related

Plug in another power source to the RX (Receiver pack etc...) and disable the internal bec

If it goes away problem is a loaded bec

Cheers
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
What motors have you previously used in the car ?

Could be normal cogging associated with a sensorless motor

What battery are you using ?

What start power do you have configured in the ESC ?

Do you have a 3s battery to try ?

Easy enough to test if its bec related

Plug in another power source to the RX (Receiver pack etc...) and disable the internal bec

If it goes away problem is a loaded bec

Cheers

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've just built the truck and this is the first motor i've tried. Just tried a 3s 45c from my crawler and it's the same.

I've tried all 3 start settings and makes no difference. The batteries i'm using are Turnigy 5000mah 2s 45-90c so i don't think it's those.

Could it still be a loaded bec even though it does it without the servo plugged in and the pinion off?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Wouldnt think so but you cant rule it out

Has been a heap of probs with the Sidewinder lately related to bec's

The Castle 4 pole motors can certainly come on in a burst of power if you are not used to them, hence my question on previous motors

Cheers
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Off to work now, so i'll try a bec battery pack and remove the red wire just to see if that helps when i get back. I'm beginning to think i should have just gone for a sensored set up. This is my first brushless (although i have been using castle's in brushed crawlers for years without any issues), and i wasn't expecting all this grief.

Thanks again. I'll let you know later what happens
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Use a servo extension lead if you have one, makes it easy to remove the red wire without damage

Good luck with it

Cheers
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If your problem is only at very very light throttle, then i think youl finds its normal for the CC1410 motors, mine does it but i hardly notice it as i never really drive at very light throttle, youl find being a 4-pole motor also adds to this problem i reckon...Once you run it few times youl probably think its ok..

Also ive read alot of guys think the version 1.26 software is the pick..
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by waggaclint
If your problem is only at very very light throttle, then i think youl finds its normal for the CC1410 motors, mine does it but i hardly notice it as i never really drive at very light throttle, youl find being a 4-pole motor also adds to this problem i reckon...Once you run it few times youl probably think its ok..

Also ive read alot of guys think the version 1.26 software is the pick..
Thanks. How can i get the 1.26 software?

I've downloaded the latest from Castle and when i connect the ESC i only get the option of either 1.30, 1.31 of the 1.32 that it came with?

Also, there is also a slight, jittery delay when going from neutral to full throttle.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Im guessing the servo. The internal BEC doesnt have have a reputation of being the strongest and the Savox has a rep for being power hungry. I've had several higher drawing servos cut off Sidewinders. A CC external BEC might solve your issues
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Im guessing the servo. The internal BEC doesnt have have a reputation of being the strongest and the Savox has a rep for being power hungry. I've had several higher drawing servos cut off Sidewinders. A CC external BEC might solve your issues
The external BEC is next on my list for tonight. BUT, i don't think it's the servo because it still does it if i unplug it
Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by berry50
Thanks. How can i get the 1.26 software?

I've downloaded the latest from Castle and when i connect the ESC i only get the option of either 1.30, 1.31 of the 1.32 that it came with?
All the old updates etc are on my castlelink, im on my laptop at the moment and the castlelink is on my pc at home so i cant look, i think its in the settings.. ill check later and post it up..

Also im runnning the MMP esc so it maybe differant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.