Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Project Im working on.... >

Project Im working on....

Project Im working on....

Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Project Im working on....

Im working on a project using a 27T motor and a computer power supply. I just have a couple questions to make sure Im understanding right.

First off The 5V side should be plenty to run a 27T at moderate speed correct?

With that said, since i read that the power supply needs a continual draw on the 5v side to run and make a true 12v on the 12v side, if my motor is connected to the 5v, instead of a resistor, it would be suffice to keep the power supply running correct?

I powered the 27t with a regular 12v rc power supply and it was a bit more then i was looking for so was thinking I could use the 5v from a computer power supply instead to get the desired rough speed.

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: Ok I connected the green to a black, the grey to a red as 1 of the sites said to be able to turn supply on and have fan run. I then connected a 5v red to positive of motor and a black ground to the negative.....IT WENT NUTS......way to fast.

So then I took the 5v red off the motor and hooked up an orange 3v. it runs much slower, close enough to what i was looking for....but when i shut the power supply off it speeds up for a sec then off, but wont turn back on unless I unplug the power cord then plug it back in then turn it back on......why is this?

Last edited by Flying Monkey; 05-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.