Wiki Posts
Search

2.4 Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2.4 Conversions for older radios

I have several old radios that I love because they remind me of my youth and first days of racing. I don't use them anymore because the performance just doesnt compare to that of the new 2.4 systems, but I just cant throw them away. The posting of the DIY Corona 2.4 conversion thread has made me wonder if I can update my beloved vintage radios to 2.4.

Since the discovery of the Corona conversion I have seen a few others. Most of them are only available from Hobby King, as far as I can tell. So far there is Corona, Assan, and FrSky (not FlySky) There may be others. I know that some have used modules from XPS to convert other radios. Junkman 12 used the module from the FlySky GTB to convert his Mars KO radio. The KO can use Spektrum or KO 2.4 systems, but the flysky receivers are so inexpensive. So I would say that it is well worth his investment so far.

I think it may be possible to take the module out of other less expensive radios, but I lack the experience to make them work as conversions. The RF board from the Losi RTR radio is Spektrum compatible, but it is tiny and I am not having any luck decyphering the contacts on it.

Anyway I think it would be great to have one thread that covers any means by which an old radio might be converted to 2.4.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-03-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Improve description for topic
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this is how I did my conversion on a AM band tx with a China made 2.4Ghz module.

I searched the "IN" port for the module in the AM band Tx PCB.

I then soldered my 2.4Ghz module "OUT" port into that. I also powered the module throught the +5V and GND port of the Tx PCB

As mentioned in the link - the "in" port in the TX board is the PPM signal IN and the "out" in the module is the 2.4Ghz PPM

The concept as the corona module is almost same anyway.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Thats awesome. What radio are you converting? What brand of module? I think all of them are Chineese.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

I received a PM about the PPM on an EXII. ONly in here would anyone understand that. LOL. I dont have an oscilliscope or a degree in electronics so I can not verify, but from the diagrams and my homework I have come up with this as my plan for the EXII. I hope it works. If anyone else has done this we would love to hear from you.
Attached Thumbnails 2.4 Conversions-dscex2composite_1220b.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Here is another one with the circuit board reversed and the diagram of the OKI chip overlayed.
Attached Thumbnails 2.4 Conversions-ex2plan2.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Hi snoopyrc,

im still waiting on RCmodelreview's reply on my questions, and will post it here.meanwhile i think im a bit certain that i will get the frsky instead of Corona and Assan. Just make sure that the DIY kit you have has the fix for the step down of voltage (cutoff to 3V), shocktly diode.

thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

got some feedback about the Oki L9362 IC, from RCmodelreview, sure hope that its not for all hack jobs. still waiting for my DIY to arrive. Will update 2 weeks from now.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

snoopyrc,

just got an alert from HobbyKing, and it says my stuff (Which i ordered 24th Feb) is now packed and ready to be transferred to the shipping department) and should wait another 48 hours for it to have a tracking number.

it took 6 days (4 if you will remove weekends) to be packed, then another 48 freaking hours before it get ship. Wow..... some service you got there, its either they have a VERY Big warehouse or they only have one staff thats doing it all.

I'm thinking it will take 7-21 days (if im lucky) so a month for that to get to Singapore, ...... are they from Hongkong right..... well at least im ahead of you by 15 days.

anyway, very horrible experience, other online shops normally ship (48 hrs) from payment confirmation. but this is definitely the most weirdest online shop i had encountered.

not a good shop.... imo.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

A buddy of mine ordered a FrSky and a module for a Futaba, all from HobbyKing. He said that he had his in about 10 days. He didnt get the DIY hack just the plug in module and a receiver. By the way he loves them and was racing on it this last weekend. I told him that I was three weeks deep and it just now says that its set to leave Hong kong. I can get them off of Ebay way faster but they are twice as much money.

Does the FrSky hack take a 3v input?

He mentioned Chineese new year and that they celebrate for three weeks. Is that over yet?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
A buddy of mine ordered a FrSky and a module for a Futaba, all from HobbyKing. He said that he had his in about 10 days. He didnt get the DIY hack just the plug in module and a receiver. By the way he loves them and was racing on it this last weekend. I told him that I was three weeks deep and it just now says that its set to leave Hong kong. I can get them off of Ebay way faster but they are twice as much money.

Does the FrSky hack take a 3v input?

He mentioned Chineese new year and that they celebrate for three weeks. Is that over yet?

it says in the manual 6-13V ops Voltage range, but it can handle 5V (according to RCmodelreview write up not so sure though).

not sure about the CNY, but i think they do that. ;-( will just check if its already shipped out of HK.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Should wire straight in to the KO then.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Well I am out of direction. I soldered everything in and it powered up and acted like it was ready to bind, but it will not bind and give control. Not sure what to try next.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

mine just arrive, will try to install it in tonight, if this does not work on my KO, will try it on M11, there is a DIN port with a PPM signal on the PIn (Pin 7) this might help me bring down the cost of buying a RX441 RX which cost $78 a peace... just hope that it works.

Snoop,

have you tried another RX? just a wild guess.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks to your PM telling me where you tapped the power from, I got it to work. I had no idea that the PC board would not have enough juice to make it perform correctly. I ran new lines from the battery and off the switch and it fired up and bound to the receiver. I am stoked.

I also prayed to find a way to make it work. Tempted to write it off as luck, but its eating at me. Thank you for your help Slow_Jun.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default KO- EX II and EX-5 FRsky DIY Hack

Thanks Snoop for the encouragement, i got mine yesterday and manage to install it, at first i tried to get the +VCC (positive source) from the board which was = to the input battery voltage, but did not manage to get it to Bind, same issue as yours, but after refusing to accept that my investment will be put to waste, i started to poke aroung my Lipo Voltage cut-off meter( improvise voltmeter) and searched for another source, so i decided to get the source directly off the switch (right after the battery), and a solid red LED lit and switch the power off, then turn it to binding mode and it binded with the RX.

below are some pics for those EX-II users that might want to give life to their trusted old KO's.

PPM Signal from Pin 9.

Power source (+ Positive)

When wires are soldered and put into place.

while in operation. Bind switch mounted on the EX-II casing.

but i will be transferring the DIY to my EX-5 because my EX-II has a prior problem during the hack which i thought it will be solved by the DIY kit.
the steering would not respond to a full right operation and would pause. I did sprayed a contact cleaner onto the potentiometer and a slight improvement was felt and would need another try at this, this weekend. Already tested it on my EX-5 and no issue was found, will need to do a thorough test when i have the time, my wife gave me the silent treatment again when she saw me fixing my TX for 5 hours last night.
hahaha..

if my hunch is right i can also hack my M11 to use this DIY kit to be able to use the Frsky cheap RX but if i have the time i will test.

BTW, binding was fast, i believe much faster than my M11 ;-(

enjoy......

Last edited by slow_jun; 03-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.