Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Futaba 3PL vs. Spektrum DX3.0 vs. Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro >

Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Futaba 3PL vs. Spektrum DX3.0 vs. Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Futaba 3PL vs. Spektrum DX3.0 vs. Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Futaba 3PL vs. Spektrum DX3.0 vs. Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro

Which one and why?

I will be getting a Losi XXX-SCT next week. I plan on swapping out the transmitter for something better. I know the Losi is compatible with Spektrum, but I am leaning toward some of the others since I could sell the Spektrum receiver pretty easily.

I have seen the review on BSRC for transmitters, but the Airtronics and Hitec were not on there.

One thing I see in the Hitec is the EXPO and sub-trim availability, haven't really been able to tell on the other models. Can't seem to find any user reviews or experiences with the Hitec model at all and it has been out longer than some of the others.

Also, one of the faults BSRC commented on for the 3PL was the lack of a power indicating led, it would be nice to see if the others included those as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

just get a Spectrum DX2S, just dropped the price to 149.99 at amin i think. Buth then again dx3.0 at amain is under 100.00! have a extra rx and just bind er up
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NorCalLump
just get a Spectrum DX2S, just dropped the price to 149.99 at amin i think. Buth then again dx3.0 at amain is under 100.00! have a extra rx and just bind er up
DX2S is nice, a little more than I want to spend. I really want to keep it under $125. I really would like to have 3channel too, I can see a crawler in the future.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I checked, LHS has Spektrum and Futaba, but don't carry the others. I am not opposed to ordering online.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by PorTX; 01-16-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Jeff...not trying to hijack your thread just researching the same radios that you listed.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by PorTX
Jeff...not trying to hijack your thread just researching the same radios that you listed.
No problem, it doesn't seem to be getting too much in the way of responses.

I really like the features of the Hitec and the MX-sport. I just have not found anyone using the Hitec. Lots of people using the MX-Sport, but it really seems like the extra receivers are high in cost.

From the review on Big Squid, the Spektrum range was considerably less than others.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

That is why I am staying with either Spektrum or Airtronics. Large, well know company that it seems most are happy with. Now that DX3.0 and MX sport are within a few bucks of each other, I thought I might try the Spektrum. Then I noticed the ABS feature on the MX-sport and have been trying to see if that is worth having.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by PorTX
That is why I am staying with either Spektrum or Airtronics. Large, well know company that it seems most are happy with. Now that DX3.0 and MX sport are within a few bucks of each other, I thought I might try the Spektrum. Then I noticed the ABS feature on the MX-sport and have been trying to see if that is worth having.
Futaba has ABS also, really good range, and within $10 of the Spektrum, excellent support, and excellent range. That's why I included it too.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

I just can't force myself to get a Futaba. Although it was 20 years ago, I never had any luck with Futaba. I am sure that they are good products I just can't seem to forget the nightmares.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys another thing you might want to look at is the cost of receivers that you can bind to the systems. If you want more than one model on the radio then additional receivers can cost you as much as a new radio for each model. I know that the Futaba was cheaper than airtronics when adding receivers. Just another consideration in your search. I myself have the same issue. I put the Associated 2.4 rtr radio in my blitz because I got it cheap and wound up with the traxxas link TQ in my Hyper 10 TT because I could get the complete system for $35. I am not really recommending the traxxas system but the receivers are only $32.99 online and you can link up to 20 receivers to the radio. It has most of the features of the Futaba and Airtronics without the LCD display.

Another thing you may want to do is get out and feel the radios and choose the one that feels the best in your hands. I felt the MX and it didnt feel quite right the wheel felt strange. I felt the DX3.0 and it felt 100 times better and have yet to feel the Futaba 3pl.

Anyway I didn't want to complicate things just give some other considerations.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know this is an older thread, but in case anyone is looking for updated information...

Big Squid did a 2.4GHz shootout and rated the 3PL very highly. Combined with the fact that the receivers are only ~$50, the extensive feature set really makes the radio a great buy for a lower-priced high-quality radio. I just ordered one from Tower Hobbies for $114 with receiver, but was also able to take advantage of their $10 discount and free shipping, bringing the cost of the set down even further ($104 out the door - no tax, no shipping).
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Old thread, but buying a transmitter/receiver for my Son to race his 1/8 E-Buggy. He's also bashes and I have another Son beginning to race and a wife as well so I'm replacing all the stock RTR stuff with a decent gear. Leaning toward Futaba, but I'm still open to other inputs if I'm missing a better option.

So, down to two radios: Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS or Airtronics MX-Sport.

Here is my question: Which has a lower latency of the two? The Futaba 3PL or Airtronics MX-Sport. I will be using the same
Futaba R2004GF FHSS or Airtronics FHSS-2 receivers that come with the transmitters.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayhawknavy02
Old thread, but buying a transmitter/receiver for my Son to race his 1/8 E-Buggy. He's also bashes and I have another Son beginning to race and a wife as well so I'm replacing all the stock RTR stuff with a decent gear. Leaning toward Futaba, but I'm still open to other inputs if I'm missing a better option.

So, down to two radios: Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS or Airtronics MX-Sport.

Here is my question: Which has a lower latency of the two? The Futaba 3PL or Airtronics MX-Sport. I will be using the same
Futaba R2004GF FHSS or Airtronics FHSS-2 receivers that come with the transmitters.

I would go with the Futaba.
I have the 4PKS, my son (6) has the Futaba 3pmX and my daughter has(8) has the Mx Sport and I have to say the 3PMx is a better radio hands down. I cant imagine the 3pl would be much different. The MX Sport does not have a subtrim adjustment.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Gotcha, I'm pretty solid on the Futaba 3PL; however, its definitely not in the same league as the Futaba 3PM-X. If I can find either one for a good deal used, that will be the one they get. The 3PL receivers are less expensive of course. I've watched a lot of "Like New In Box" Futaba 3PL XMT/RCVR combos going for around $50-$70, with 65 looking to be a fair price, which is a good place for the kids.

I'd prefer a 3PM-X since I have the 4PKS as well and its compatible in C2 mode. A little slower, but at least it works.