Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to charge 3s LiFePO4 battery from Dynam Supermate DC6 DC-only chargr (blue case)? >

How to charge 3s LiFePO4 battery from Dynam Supermate DC6 DC-only chargr (blue case)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to charge 3s LiFePO4 battery from Dynam Supermate DC6 DC-only chargr (blue case)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How to charge 3s LiFePO4 battery from Dynam Supermate DC6 DC-only chargr (blue case)?

Does anyone have any idea how to charge a 3S LiFe PO4 battery with the Dynam "Supermate" DC6 charger - the smaller, DC-only version in the blue case?

it only has DC input from a car battery, no AC input from a wall socket, and the case is blue. It says on the case that it can charge LiFe batteries, but when I click through the menus, the only lithium battery it mentions is LiPo.

It came with no paper documentation, but with a tiny CD-ROM that had a manual as a PDF file. The same file can be found at:
http://www.dynam-rc.com/download/supermate_dc6.pdf

Problem is, that manual is for the dual-power version in the yellow case, that can either connect to a car battery OR plug into the wall. This manual claims that the menus will give you an option for charging LiFe batteries, but this DC-only charger doesn't do what the Dual-power manual says.

If you look at http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/battery/charger.htm , it shows a list of Dynam's battery chargers. The one at the top of the list, is the AC/DC power charger with the yellow case. The next one (second on the list) is the DC-only one that I have, with the blue case. But the manual that came with it on the CD-ROM, is for the first (yellow case) one.

How do you charge a 3s LiFePO4 battery with a DC-input-only Dynam Supermate DC6 charger (in the smaller blue case, not the yellow-case AC/DC Power version of the DC6)?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't have that charger charger but from looking at the manual for the other I think I know how it's supposed t work to bet setup to charge LiFe. This programming is common to a lot of these type chargers. My Accucel-6 is pretty much the same programming wise.

Since Lipo, LiFe and Lilo all use the same CC/CV type charging process but use different voltages, rather than program 3 separate, distinct charge modes, these chargers incorporate all 3 lithium types under one mode where the voltage is set for the required lithium type battery in user set up.

Go into the menu and find USER Set Program (or something like that) and go to the step called LiXX V.Type. Its probably going to say "Lipo V Type 3.7v" - that's prob the default setting. You want to change the voltage here to 3.3v - these are preset at 3 different voltages - the little window should say something like "LiFe V. Type 3.3v" when you change it. If you scroll thru the voltages available, you should see all 3 type of lithium batts the charger will charge. Select the LiFe one and the rest is just normal setup from here.

Its really simple, takes longer to read this than to do it.