Wiki Posts
Search

balance charging lipos

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default balance charging lipos

Ive always thought you had to balance charge lipos but a lot of the people at my local track do not. so i was wondering if balancing really is necessary when you charge. thanks...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by code blue
Ive always thought you had to balance charge lipos but a lot of the people at my local track do not. so i was wondering if balancing really is necessary when you charge. thanks...
No it's not necessary but, if you want lipo's to last longer. You might want to balance them once in awhile.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No, there's nothing that say you must balance charge everytime. But I do anyway. The only way the charger knows what the individual cell voltages are is with the balance wires connected and charger balance charging. That is the safest way to charge a lipo since it'll let the charger catch any lipo issues sooner than it would if you're not balance charging and the charger only had the total voltage to go on.

There have been a couple of lipo incidents where houses were almost burned down that could have been prevented if they had been balance charging. Maybe its not such a big deal at the track, but I'd still be balance charging personally. If its a time deal, measure the time diff doing it both ways. Good charger there shouldn't be much time diff. You could use fast lipo mode and balance and prob save some time that way, but still be as safe as poss.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMHO, there is no reason NOT to balance charge Lipo.

Unless you have a cell monitor on hand all the time to check the balance, balancing a pack on a good charger will tell you which cell suffers from low voltage.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Always balance charge people who don't are just being stupid ... why would you not balance charge when it's 100% safer?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

I thought that you had to balance at a lower charge rate.? That would explain why people alternate the balance cycles on their batteries. I usually balance every 3rd charge at 1 amp, and normally charge at 5 amps.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

With my set up I charge through my main power wires and balance through the balance lead. You are right that if you charge through your balance lead you can't charge at the same current because of the size of the wire. But a lot of balancers these days connect to both so there is no difference in charge time. If you don't balance your cells can be at different voltages and when charging you can over charge a cell which is why it becomes dangerous. It also damages the sell and you will find that it won;t last as long.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Over-rev
I thought that you had to balance at a lower charge rate.? That would explain why people alternate the balance cycles on their batteries. I usually balance every 3rd charge at 1 amp, and normally charge at 5 amps.
Some chargers will slow down at higher charging rates due to balancing, but its charger/balancer dependent as far as I know. Think this is what you're referring to. You shoukld be fine bvalance charging at 5amps unless your chargers balancer can't keep up - I'd be surprised if that happened at 5amps.

I balance charge 5000mah 4S lipos charging them at 3C or 15amps. Higher powered chargers typically have options on when to balance - my iCharger is set so the balancing is only done in the CV part of the lipo charge. There is no time disadvantage in charging that way. The charger still knows what the cells are doing and if a prob were to happen, it'd still be able to stop the charge.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

You should monitor all cells to be sure they are within .01v of each other.
If not, balance 'em.

I balance charge all packs every time. If it takes longer than usual the charger is spending the extra time balancing the pack.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Some chargers will slow down at higher charging rates due to balancing, but its charger/balancer dependent as far as I know. Think this is what you're referring to. You shoukld be fine bvalance charging at 5amps unless your chargers balancer can't keep up - I'd be surprised if that happened at 5amps.

I balance charge 5000mah 4S lipos charging them at 3C or 15amps. Higher powered chargers typically have options on when to balance - my iCharger is set so the balancing is only done in the CV part of the lipo charge. There is no time disadvantage in charging that way. The charger still knows what the cells are doing and if a prob were to happen, it'd still be able to stop the charge.
I was under the impression we had to use lower rates. I know we have to use the main wires as well as the balance connector when charging, but I thought we still need a lower rate. I'm using the Venom charger which maxes at 5 amps.

With this in mind it's like grany said, there should be no reason to charge without balancing, unless your charger can't keep a higher rate while balancing. Even then it should still be done as often as possible.

I usually balanced every third charge, from now on though I will always be balance-charging when charging my packs.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Over-rev
I was under the impression we had to use lower rates. I know we have to use the main wires as well as the balance connector when charging, but I thought we still need a lower rate. I'm using the Venom charger which maxes at 5 amps.

With this in mind it's like grany said, there should be no reason to charge without balancing, unless your charger can't keep a higher rate while balancing. Even then it should still be done as often as possible.

I usually balanced every third charge, from now on though I will always be balance-charging when charging my packs.
Good man! To me balancing charge my lipo is like putting on seat belt everytime I am in a car.

Here are some of the interesting "reasons" why people don't wear seat belt:

1. Seat belts wrinkle my clothes
2. I don’t need to, I have airbags
3. It’s uncomfortable
4. I’ve heard of people trapped in a burning car who couldn’t unfasten their belt
5. My parents never wore them
6. There’s dust on them that gets on my clothes
7. I don’t believe there should be a law requiring me to wear them
8. I’m a good driver

By the way, I am Ganymede and not grany...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

I'm pretty sure the Venom charger will balance charge at 5amps. It does have a little of a rep for being slow, but I think thats at any balance charging rate.

I've been doing lipos for 8yrs and thats the 1st time I've heard this.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 3-pin Align/E-Flite style balance connector

Where can I buy 3-pin Align/E-Flite style balance connector JST-XH adaptors?