Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Castle/Nue 2200kv How many amps continous? >

Castle/Nue 2200kv How many amps continous?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle/Nue 2200kv How many amps continous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default Castle/Nue 2200kv How many amps continous?

I know its 125A peak. But how many amps does it pull on average? Not peaking, but just running 50%-75% throttle around the yard and street bashin. I plan on running it with a Xerun 80A 370peak ESC on 4s. Even the Castle guy said it would probably be OK as the motor "can" draw 125A, but under normal running its not always pulling that. I will punch it and ride wheelies and put it under hard acceleration ofcourse, but if the motor peaks and pulls 125A+ the esc id 80A cont. 370A peak so it should be able to provide ample current briefly. Does this all sound correct to you guys. Someday Im going to get a bigger and better ESC, but for now I got this one.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How do you plan to limit yourself to 50%

These motors are amp hungry and have been known to destroy much larger ESC's than the one you have specified

Go with a Mamba Monster

Cheers
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Well, when I bashin I dont have the trigger pulled full throttle the whole time. I punch it for only short periods while climbing hills, jumping, speed runs, etc.. Other than that Im only running at 1/2-3/4 throttle. For example; I was going to attempt to run a Novak SS4300 with a Ezrun 25A 1/10 esc and the Novak Tech said it should be fine. The motor is capable of pulling 60A+, but generally operates at 25A. The 120A rating on the motor is a "MAX" spec. the Castle guy said. "Its capable of pulling 120A or more, but generally doesnt pull that amount of current all the time" So Im thinking that the motor might pull a little less than the full 120A the whole run. When it peaks at 120A-150A and so on the ESC should be able to provide it for those breaf times as its rated at 370A peak. Am I making sense? Im gonna try this evening no matter what, but to hear someones "ok" would make me feel better. LOL..The Casle Tech guy said it should be OK as long as I gear it properly. Becouse of the huge heatsinks on the motor(its a torq 2200) even with some of the HS grinded away I will have to run a 20t pinion. From what I read the bigger the pinion the more amps the motor pulls aswell. But like I saying...The motor actually draws alot less than the "max rated Amp" generally while running right?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Of course the average amp draw of a motor is much less

Assuming a 5000 mah pack lasts you 15 minutes before hitting LVC (20% remaining capacity)
4000mah (80% of your pack capacity) = 4 Amp Hours
4 Amp Hours used up in 15 minutes
4 x 4 (60 / 15)

Average amp draw would be 16 amps over the entire pack

Its the burst (spikes) that will kill an ESC

Cheers
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

OK...First thank you for responding and trying to help! I found a bench test on "Beat Your Truck.com" and they tested the MMM2200 and the motor peaked at 180 some amps buring the run according to the EagleTree graph I read. I was lookin at you tube where people are running Ezrun 60A esc's on 4s with big XL canned motors! And they state the esc stays cool! I personally have pushed Ezrun 60As pretty hard and they never even get hot. But this will be the test I guess. So far Ive ran this ESC in a heavy all aluminum Savage with a 3656 1900kv AMMO motor, then a E Revo with the AMMO then a Ezrun 2350kv 3665 motor, then the Maxx with the EZrun motor then the longer Kershaw Designs 3674 2370kv XL motor and it didnt seem to struggle in any of these apps with any of these motors. It always temped about 80-95 degrees after hard and long bashing sessions. Even during the summer when it was 90+ degrees out side. According to the low temps it wasnt pushing it self very hard or reaching its limits. Am I right?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Temps are decent indicator of how well the car is setup (gearing vs weight etc...)

Usually when an ESC dies it is because the protection circuits for some reason or not failed to shut it down in time

Often an ESC will die before it has time to thermal under heavy load

Agree with you that plenty of folks are running EZRun's in high powered cars with great success

Let us know how you go with it

Cheers

Last edited by crusey_aus; 12-18-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Im about to run outside for a quick test run in the street and see how it goes. I'll be bach with the verdict! Pray for my poor esc! Shes gonna need it~
Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The 2200 is that same motor as the Neu 1515 1y and that's rated for 1250 continuous watts. On 4S, assuming it can run at 3.7v/cell, that'd be 84.5amps.

On paper, it'd look like that esc is going to have a prob. Real world is something else though.

Surge watts is twice that high (2500watts) so 'surge' current would be twice that high, ~170amps.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Seemed OK!

Well, it at least held up for a 10 min run. I tried to put it through the motions real quick. Couple of fast runs with the tires rippin up grass up a hill, few speed runs up and down the road and it seemed fine. Motor warm to the touch and esc cool like always. Guess we will find out when I get a chance to actually bash it for a considerable amount of time.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Its All Good!

I took it out and it ran like a champ! I was puching it all over the place. I started off easy, then buy the end of bashin I forgot I was takin it easy and was just runnin hard. No problems! Geared 22t/65 or 68 (what ever stock is) and everything was fine. Didnt have to get the temp gun out. Everything felt warm at best. I had faith in the ESC. Hobbywing has never let me down. Ive pushed the Ezrun 60A to its limits several times and never any problems! So I honestly feel good running it for now. I plan on gettin a little bigger ESC soon. Ive been looking at the new Ezrun 120A SC8/MT esc. Its $100 and looks promising. Unless I can just score a Mamba Monster for that price when the time comes.