Wiki Posts
Search

EX10 Helios... or DX3R

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default EX10 Helios... or DX3R

OK, so.... i have the 3R... i like it... but i like trying new stuff. I have a guy who wants to trade me a real nice EX10 Helios with a drop down and spektrum, and a lipo for mine straight up.

Any Pro/con's out there from people who have had/used both or know enough about each?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

The EX10 has more tuning options than the DX3R. Just make sure that the spektrum on the EX10 Helios is DSM2, and not DSM1.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Didn't know spectrum made a DSM2 module. Thought the only thing SM2 was the 3s and 3r
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
The EX10 has more tuning options than the DX3R. Just make sure that the spektrum on the EX10 Helios is DSM2, and not DSM1.
There is no such animal. The pro-module for the Helios is only DSM-1

If I were to do a straight trade. I would try to find a Helios with the KO 2.4ghz system. I believe the KO 2.4ghz system has better reponse than the spektrum pro system.
For comfort go with the Helios with drop down It really transforms the radio.

Good luck with your find.

Pass you soon...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have owned and raced both radios for at least a year for each one.

The Helios was the most comfortable of all radios when it comes to my fitment and my hands etc. The spektrum is better for my arm and elbow as it is so lightweight. It weighs less with 4AA duracel batts than my helios weighed with no battery at all. Also, what everybody said is correct, you are DSM1 only using a module where with the DX3R you have the DSM2 technology.

To me, the other area (besides weight....makes a difference when I run those long nitro mains) that the DX3R radio really shines is its navigation. The screen is very large and displays lots. It is very easy to use that radio. I always thought the worst part of my Helios was making changes to the settings. Way too many menus and hard to find things.

Keep your Spektrum
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I have owned and raced both radios for at least a year for each one.

The Helios was the most comfortable of all radios when it comes to my fitment and my hands etc. The spektrum is better for my arm and elbow as it is so lightweight. It weighs less with 4AA duracel batts than my helios weighed with no battery at all. Also, what everybody said is correct, you are DSM1 only using a module where with the DX3R you have the DSM2 technology.

To me, the other area (besides weight....makes a difference when I run those long nitro mains) that the DX3R radio really shines is its navigation. The screen is very large and displays lots. It is very easy to use that radio. I always thought the worst part of my Helios was making changes to the settings. Way too many menus and hard to find things.

Keep your Spektrum
I have to agree If I where doing a trade. I would not trade a Dx3r for a Helios with spektrum. Maybe if It had an updated KO 2.4ghz system. Or better yet if it was the new Eurus.

I don't understand why you are parting with the Dx3r. I've never ran one; But some of the fastest guys at my track use them and love it.

Pass you soon...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a helios with the old spektrum 1 module in it. I got it all used and I love it. I think the response is plenty fast enough, and I love the way the radio feels. I like the weight of the radio. My mains are eight minutes so make of it what you will. I have never run a half hour main so maybe I would feel differrently if that were the case. I have never owned the Spektrum DX3R so I can't offer you any help from that side of things.

If you have the money keep the Spektrum and order a Eurus with the 2.4 and drop down module.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

I've left on my DX3R for extended periods of time, and only had to change the batteries once in a season.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Well i am the only guy with a KO at my local Indoor track. I can tell you, i have had to let a lot of people hold it, and a couple that were in the market for a new radio now want the Eurus. I think 2 of the 20+ people that have held it will be getting one. Nothing feels like a KO.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

all you have to do is hold both radios. the ko is WAY higher quality.
the only issue might be the spektrum dsm1 module. it will be a little slower than the dsm2, which is slower than the new 902 module that comes with the euros.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
all you have to do is hold both radios. the ko is WAY higher quality.
the only issue might be the spektrum dsm1 module. it will be a little slower than the dsm2, which is slower than the new 902 module that comes with the euros.
Please explain what is higher quality. I know the KO is heavier, but how is it higher quality. The spektrum is a very good radio.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

or just go the sanwa M11x absolutely the best radio i hAVe used and i have used the ko,spektrum,futaba. But its just my 2 cents worth lol
Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default See The Grid RC Drop Down Wheel Adapter For The DX3r Model Radio.

Grid RC has a thread on RCtech and has made a drop down wheel adapter for the DX3r which is now shipping. Keep in mind that many of the Losi team drivers have been using their own version of a drop down wheel on their DX3r radios to bring the wheel axis down to the area of the throttle, for the past two years(and now are testing the DX3r pro which has the drop down wheel built in and seeming non-removable). If you like the feel of the KoPropo with the multi-angle drop down wheel- then the GridRC drop down wheel may very well improve the comfort and feel of your DX3r radio. I've purchased the M11x recently but still have my DX3r which I'm considering going back to for weight and balance purposes. Especially now that Grid makes the drop down wheel, and it's available to anyone that wishes to buy one

My M11x weighs about 3 times the DX3r, and when I put a lightweight LiPo battery in the M11x, the radio then feels out of balance and top heavy, because the 149gram weight of the stock NIMH battery helps balance the bottom of the radio with the top. When I put for example the 105gram MaxAmps 2500mah 2cell LiPo in the M11x, the radio feels top heavy and out of balance.

I can run the DX3r all day on four Energizer 2500mah rechargeable batteries and the radio is still apx 1/3erd the weight of the M11x. But I was also very interested in buying both the KoPropo Eurus with the multi- angle drop down wheel, and adjustable 3D trigger. And also I considered the 4PKS as well. To me, the ultimate radio would be the M11x with a multi- angle drop down wheel, rather than just a built in non adjustable drop down wheel. And with the same or at least close to the same lightweigt as the DX3r. And with the advanced programing of the 4PKS. Each radio has it's comfort and technological strengths- and it's quite annoying to have to compromise, no matter which model we buy. I've considered designing my own radio case and custom installing all the electronics. For example- to have a case made of carbon fiber with proper molds and such- would be quite awesome- and may very well be one of my projects I'll undertake at some point in time.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Please explain what is higher quality. I know the KO is heavier, but how is it higher quality. The spektrum is a very good radio.
Aesthetics matter. The look the feel and the weight of the KO radio yields the sensation of a higher quality radio. It does not mean that the spektrum is not a good radio. It just means that the feel of the transmitter is important and to many its as important as that 2.8ms differrence in response time. Of course if you have the cash for the Eurus and the 2.4 module to go with it then you can have the best of both worlds. My Spektrum DX2 is probably faster than the Helios with the Spektrum DSM1 module in it, but the Helios remains my favorite radio.

Have you ever seen a racer run a 2.4 module and still leave the FM antenna extended? Its about the feel of it. The weight.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

As someone who currently owns both (Have had a 3R for a year now, got a EX10 recently for Mini Z). I FAR prefer the way my 3R feels over the EX10. For me, trigger feel and wheel feel are much better w/ the 3R, and menu navigation is far easier in the 3R than the EX10. But in the end, it really depends on what you like. Your best bet is to find one, and see if you can hold it for a while, and see how you like it.

Performance wise, one experience I can offer is, I used to run a 3PK w/ spektrum, and there is a definite lag on larger tracks that is not there w/ a 3R. The EX10 w/ the KO system is just as good, but I would much rather have a 3R than an EX10 w/ spektrum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.