Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamite Passport Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Dynamite Passport Ultra

I got the passport ultra from my Local Hobby Shop because i am hoping to upgrade to LiPo batterys once i get the VXL upgrade kit. And so far this charger works great. I would recommend it to anyone because of all the functions you can change around for charging. also the power ports unplug which makes it great for transporting.

there is only one thing i do not like about it and that is how noisy it is while it is charging. but i guess the plus to that is you know its still charging ha. also you can adjust the volume so that its not disturbing everyone else when the battery is done.

It is well worth the $130. well $142 after taxes
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

ok so i need an answer

this charger came with a temperature guage. and i read in the manual for the battery that it should never exceed 110 degrees fahrenheit. so when i have the shutoff on the charger set to that i always have to take the battery off and let it cool down about 3 or 4 times during charge. it is a Nickel Metal Hydride battery. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

NiMh peaks 120-125F. Prob with using temp to shutoff charger to protect batts from overheating is most temps sensors lag behind the actual temp - at least with the Ice and TC1030 type temp sensor. Those have to be set for a low temp to have any utility. I quit using mine, just not dependable.

This may be a better sensor and track temps better. They show 50C in the manual and thats 122F and pretty close to where these should peak. I'd set it at 125F and monitor the 1st charge. This should reduce the number of shutdowns you're seeing now and may charge all the way thru. The heat the batts generate depends on the peak sensitivity setting, charge rate and to some degree, the age of the batts. You might need to use 130F or reduce the peak setting and or the charge rate.

At no point let them get so hot than you can't hold them. They are supposed to be hot, but not so hot you can't hold them.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

thank you. so much helpful information.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Storage mode?

Hi all! Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I thought it maybe better, than to just open up a new thread to ask just one simple question...

I have the Dynamite Passport Ultra charger. And whilst I do like it, and find it pretty easy to use, I was wondering, is there not a LIPO storage mode on this charger? If not, could someone please advise me how to correctly charge and store my LIPO batteries?!

I actually use very few LIPO batteries now, just a 2300mAh 11.1v pack for my Futaba 3PK (in pretty much constant use, so no long term storage issues there)...

The other batteries I use are all identical- I have 3 Bionic 1000mAh 7.4 v LIPO batteries. I use these both in my rock crawler, and as the reciever pack in my sons Losi Ten-T. What voltage should I charge them to, for say storage through the winter? I don't think I can change the voltage when charging, but I can set the capacity cut off. Would I be ok to set this, say, 800mAh? Would this be a suitable setting to use, for storing these LIPO packs?

Many thanks in advance for any replies/advice.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You Passport doen't have a storage mode and I thought for a sec that you could use the lipo discharge mode for storage purposes, but thats preset to discharge to 3.0v/cell which discharges to a voltage that's too low.

What you want to do is get the lipos 'resting' voltage to 3.7 - 4.0v/cell. The resting voltage is what he lipo voltage stabilizes or recovers to after charging or discharging after a short wait. Most chargers with a storage mode use 3.85v/cell since its in the middle of the accepted range for storage, but as long as you're in the allowed range, its good.

Years ago before chargers came with a storage mode, we would charge the lipo, then discharge a certain mah from the lipo and consider than good for storage. Try discharging 30-40% of the lipos capacity and then stopping and see where that puts the resting voltage. Try discharging 300-400mah from your 1000mah Bionics and see where that puts the voltage.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Duster_360
You Passport doen't have a storage mode and I thought for a sec that you could use the lipo discharge mode for storage purposes, but thats preset to discharge to 3.0v/cell which discharges to a voltage that's too low.

What you want to do is get the lipos 'resting' voltage to 3.7 - 4.0v/cell. The resting voltage is what he lipo voltage stabilizes or recovers to after charging or discharging after a short wait. Most chargers with a storage mode use 3.85v/cell since its in the middle of the accepted range for storage, but as long as you're in the allowed range, its good.

Years ago before chargers came with a storage mode, we would charge the lipo, then discharge a certain mah from the lipo and consider than good for storage. Try discharging 30-40% of the lipos capacity and then stopping and see where that puts the resting voltage. Try discharging 300-400mah from your 1000mah Bionics and see where that puts the voltage.
Thanks Duster! I'll give that a try...