ESC Mounting

Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ESC Mounting

What is the best way to mount an ESC that doesn't have any screw mounts?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like using Velcro. The Velcro acts as a shock absorber as well.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I use servo tape, or any sort of foam tape for that matter. It absorbs shock and holds very well. The only downside is that you have to be careful when peeling it off so it doesn't leave foam bits
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I like using Velcro. The Velcro acts as a shock absorber as well.
I've tried Velcro (the stickey kind), making sure to clean the surfaces of the car and ESC, but it came off within a few days of bashing.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

After 20 years I still use servo tape.....no problems when done right, end of story
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Plus another for servo tape. Or I have Shoo Goo holding my RX8 in along with my tourer's servo.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gyro231995 View Post
I've tried Velcro (the stickey kind), making sure to clean the surfaces of the car and ESC, but it came off within a few days of bashing.
Weird, you mention the single most important thing when sticking things together, clean (and dry) surfaces. A little wire brushing can help, break through any surface issues and provide a little extra surface to stick to. Letting it set for a day should help some too. Or maybe you were just unlucky and got a bad or old batch of Velcro?

I’ve had the best results (for 1/10 scale) with the clear with red backing servo tape. Seems to hold real well, has a little give to it, and strangely enough is reasonably easy to get off cleanly. Sold by Parma and 3M, probably others.

Originally Posted by WildManDriving View Post
Plus another for servo tape. Or I have Shoo Goo holding my RX8 in along with my tourer's servo.
What is your RX8 in? Reason I ask, there are a lot of electric 1/8 scale buggies and truggies in my area, have been for some time. Hard mounting the speed control seems to be a significant contributor to the high rate of 1/8 speed control failures. They were noticing that the speedo frequently gave up right when the car took a hard hit.

Most of the 1/8 guys in our area are soft mounting the speedos now. Typically mounting on a block of foam, with a couple slightly loose zip ties. With a little extra length of wire. So the speedo can give some in hard hits. Velcro helps some too, not sure but I think some are using multiple layers to get a similar effect.

Hasn’t eliminated failures, but sure seems to have helped.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Gel-1-Sheet