Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help picking which radio to get

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help picking which radio to get

Hey guys, I've been out of RC cars for a while but just got a slightly used RTR SC-10. After putting some money in to some hop-ups (mmp+5700k, cvds,ball diff, caliber tires plus few rpm parts) I'm now wanting a new radio as the RTR one is to basic. I have a older JR XS3 which works ok, but the foam on the wheel is crap & keeps moving on me while I'm driving so I'm looking for a new one. I trying to stay under the $300 mark but may go higher if necessary, I'm currently looking at the Spectrum DX3-S or the KO EX5-UR. The Spectrum looks cool with the telemetry which may or may not work depending on who you talk to & the KO seems cool to require all Digital servo's which could be a problem with my old MBX-5 Losi XXCR which I would use the second receiver for. Which radio do you guys use/recommend & which ones should I stay away from.
Thanks Steven
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I just got a EX5-UR a couple of weeks ago and am loving it. Like you, my previous radio was a XS3. I find the EX5 to have all the features I needed from the XS3 in addition to a rock solid 2.4G connection. I've been to the track numerous times and have never lost a bind. I'm using it in a 1/10th buggy if it makes a difference. The digital servo requirement was not a problem since I was already using them with the XS3.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was in a similar boat as you. I went with the Airtronics MX-3X and I'm really pleased with my purchase.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I currently have a EX-5 UR (my first 2.4Ghz and first KO product) and love it! The response is fast and I have never had any issues loosing bind. I have had KO servos but have switched to Team Orion because they are a better bang for the buck. The only issue I can see one having with this transmitter is the antenna. It doesn't fold down and it is not replaceable, so be careful. The upside is it is tough and has survived being dropped a few times by my oldest daughter.