Wiki Posts
Search

JR servos bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default JR servos bad?

so I just finished buying a setup for my car, same one I had in it when I ran it almost 2 years ago!!

I bought:

Spektrum dx3.0 remote
SR3000 receiver

JR 9100T for steering
JR 9100S for throttle

just spend nearly 300$ on it all and now I just read the "baddest servo ever" thread.. seems to be a lot of people who have had problems with the JR servos. whats the word on that? my last one was fine... but im scared I bought junk now!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whatsitallworth
so I just finished buying a setup for my car, same one I had in it when I ran it almost 2 years ago!!

I bought:

Spektrum dx3.0 remote
SR3000 receiver

JR 9100T for steering
JR 9100S for throttle

just spend nearly 300$ on it all and now I just read the "baddest servo ever" thread.. seems to be a lot of people who have had problems with the JR servos. whats the word on that? my last one was fine... but im scared I bought junk now!
The JR servos are hit and miss. You will get a great one that will last forever or just a few races and it is done. The nice thing about JR is that they replace them. I did notice the last few that I sent in, JR gave me this letter about running too much voltage through them. I was using nimh packs then and I think it was just a way to get out of replacing them next time. The warranty is only as good as the company behind it.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by whatsitallworth

I bought:

Spektrum dx3.0 remote
SR3000 receiver

JR 9100T for steering
JR 9100S for throttle

The high end JR servos are on par with the Hitecs, you purchased excellent servos.
In fact those are the only 2 brands we sell. If you don't mess with low to mid range JR stuff you're fine.
I run JR, Hitec and some old Airtronics (all high end) and these have been my favorites for some time now.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I've had JR digital servos for the last ten years and never ever have had a problem with any of them. The non-digital have been horrible. But a lot of people that had the worst trouble were those who had JR servo in the Losi 8-ights. The way the servo tray was built it just destroyed servos. All servos.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

I've burned JR's in throttle but not Hitec.

Adam Drake doesn't even use JR anymore how bad is that...
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kent Beal
I've had JR digital servos for the last ten years and never ever have had a problem with any of them. The non-digital have been horrible. But a lot of people that had the worst trouble were those who had JR servo in the Losi 8-ights. The way the servo tray was built it just destroyed servos. All servos.
Absolutely right, especially with a GRP.....It took me an hour to get it at best, close to right. Then this came out and saved us all.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hmm very interesting guys.

whats a digital servo?

and whats with those high voltage ones... damn theyre nice, but 200$ a piece?!?!?! are they like the 9100's on steroids?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Digital servo center better and apply power quicker. This is how I understand it:
On a non-digital servo it can take a few degrees of deflection before its torque is applied, then still the torque ramps up.

On a digital it can take less than one degree and all the torque is applied.