Wiki Posts
Search

Transponder not counting HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Transponder not counting HELP!

Hey guys I have a question. I have a FT B4 with the carbon fiber chassis. Yesterday at the track I kept missing laps. After speaking with local racers they seem to think the chassis is blocking the signal. I want to know if this is theory or if anyone has actually had this problem. If this is the problem, my question is, how are the pro's using transponders on there FT kits? If anyone has any input please feel free because I need to solve this issue. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had alot of problems with an AMB not counting correctly. What was happening is there was a small glitch when I hit the throttle, that was momentarily causing the voltage to dip. Once this happens the AMB doesnt transmit for 4 seconds (it resets).

I solved my problem by putting acouple of large capacitors into the receiver (Also known as glitch busters). I belive I used 2x 26V 470uF capacitors in parrallel. Helps keep the voltage constant for the little spikes.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HEY GUYS I HAVE A TRANSPONDER THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEND IN TO BE REPAIRED DOES ANYONE KNOW THE WEBSITE FOR TRANSPONDERS OR ANYWHERE I CAN SEND IT IN TO GET IT REPAIRED??
Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KevinHawk
Hey guys I have a question. I have a FT B4 with the carbon fiber chassis. Yesterday at the track I kept missing laps. After speaking with local racers they seem to think the chassis is blocking the signal. I want to know if this is theory or if anyone has actually had this problem. If this is the problem, my question is, how are the pro's using transponders on there FT kits? If anyone has any input please feel free because I need to solve this issue. Thanks!
Assuming this is an AMB transponder (PT,.. house?)

Yes the manufacture states not to mount them on carbon fiber.. (although many do and it works)

Thing I have found to cause this problem

Track equipment
1) breakdown of the loop or COAX (causing the background noise to be to high)
Racer equipment
2) poorly or improper mounted transponder

3) voltage issue

Seems like you can "usually" get away with one of the above... two or more and you have problems.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys. ED. the loop is new, just put in. Im almost positive that there is not a voltage issue. So is it fair to assume that the chassis could be the issue, i am the only one running the CF chassis and I am the only one not counting.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KevinHawk
Thanks for the input guys. ED. the loop is new, just put in. Im almost positive that there is not a voltage issue. So is it fair to assume that the chassis could be the issue, i am the only one running the CF chassis and I am the only one not counting.
have you tried a capacitor on the RX?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you bought the PT new, it comes with instruction about the CF (no body reads them..)

AMB used to have them on there site... I've printed them out and laminated them.. and keep it with me in case a racer is having problems... as I check my loops often.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I ran mine in my FT T4 at 3 different tracks with no problem. All 3 of these tracks have their loop burried in the ground.

Stephen
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

I Have also experienced glitches from mounting on carbon fiber. A transponder drenched in fuel also causes problems haha
Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

mine did the same