Wiki Posts
Search

question about lipo's

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default question about lipo's

Well just getting back into RC after several years. And now lipos are the big thing. I have been reading up on them but i want to run stock sct class. say i have 2600 15c lipos will someone running say a 5300 25c have an advantage over me? I know they would have longer run times but the race is only 8 min mains. If the performance in a stock class would be about the same with these batterys that would save me from having to buy the 5300 25c and spend that cash on other stuff i need.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The bigger lipo will hold higher voltage than the smaller one. So, yes, there will be an advantage in having the bigger capacity. That advantage would be there even if they have the same C rating. With the C rating difference, there will be even more difference in the voltage holding ability of the two lipos. You're comparing a 130amp lipo to a 39amp lipo discharge wise.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Been there, done that, YES C rating matters in stock class racing!! The guy with the biggest stick will be faster!! In a straight line anyway..
Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In stock spec racing, unless your a seasoned driver, you wont notice a difference. I dont notice a difference between my 3200 20C packs and my 5000 40C packs in my stock slash. I can run 2 races with my 5000 though

For an 8 min main, I would look into getting at least a 3500mAh battery. I would honestly just get a 5000mAh pack. Its easier and cheaper to buy the best now then to have to upgrade and buy again later.

Some tips to keep you safe while using LiPos:
1. ALWAYS charge with a LiPo charger, in a fireproof location, at the maximum rate suggested by the manufacturer.
2. Use a balancer while charging. This keeps any of the cells from being over charged, which can result in a fire.
3. Never discharge a LiPo battery past the manufacturers recommended voltage. They are not like Nickle batteries, and become very unstable when discharged too low. If you notice your vehicle slowing down, stop it immediately. Do not try and "limp" it back, stop it and unplug the battery.
4. If you think your doing something wrong, just ask someone.