Wiki Posts
Search

PROBLEM WITH NEW TURNIGY LIPO!!! HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default PROBLEM WITH NEW TURNIGY LIPO!!! HELP PLEASE

I just got my new turnigy lipos today and one of the 2 cells wont let me charge it? It keeps saying OUT CIRCUIT PROBLEM and I really dont know whats up? If someone can help me that would be great!!! Thanks if you can help just PM me.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Hrmm.. got a cell checker? Sounds like one of the cells may be bad.
It happens from time to time.. Never had a bad cell in any packs I've bought (just got 6 new ones in myself) .. but have had friends get a bad pack.

as long as all of your connections are right, it's the only thing I can think of.

What charger? Balancer? are your using.. Does it read each cell or just a standard plug and go unit?

Ask your friends at the track (if you go to a track) if they have a cell checker..

Also note that Hobby City has some crazy return policy.. read up on it if thats where you got them from.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well the charger I am using reads each cell when the lipo is charging right and it will tell you the voltage on each cell. But Ive had a lipo do somrthing like this and one of the balancing wires just came undone but all the wires are connected and I even tried switching the wires around. So I dont know I guess I can take it to the hobby shop and see what he says. Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

It seems like one of the cells are really low, Is it possible to bring it back up?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you charge the pack on Nimh settings just long enough to bring the cell up it can work. But you have to be very careful to not overcharge the other cell, and to not leave the pack and forget it. Nimh mode could damage the lipo if it is allowed to overcharge any cell.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I got a Turnigy and it wouldn't charge either - my charger kept saying 'short err'. This was a 3S Turnigy and the voltage was a little less than 8v - one cell read only 0.28v. The error was due to the low voltsge - its a safety thing with lipo chargers that they don't charge if the voltage is less than 3v/cell.

Charge yours as a NiMh at not more than 1amp, I used 0.5amp so the voltage doesn't get too high too quickly. Watch and let the voltage get over 6+ volts, then stop the charge. Now charge it as a lipo and it should charge. Make sure there is no sign of swelling in the low cell - that would imply its damaged and you should discard it and get another.

It may take a while for that low cell to get up to the other cells voltage - it may be on the balancer for a while. It may take a few discharge/charge cycles for it to equalize with the other cell. If it doesn't swell (puff) it should be a good lipo.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks I ended up getting it to come up to 4.20 but Im not sure that its gonna hold up? So I guess Ill just wait and see and if its bad I will just buy a new one I guess! Because if I send it back its gonna cost more than its worth, So I guess thats what you get when you want a good deal on something! Thanks for your help!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So hobbycity supposedly checks all cells before shipping. Do these batteries self discharge that fast or are they lying about checking them?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lipo self discharge is very low at least on quality lipos. I think the charge that's put in them is minimal to start with and some cells are just bad. I don't think you can explain it all by saying they are self discharging due to time in the pipeline. They seem to have a pretty good turnover.

I know folks that have bought many of these and never had a prob with one. I go and buy a pair and one is near DOA - just my luck. One a better note, the bad one is holding up fine, its voltage range is within the range of the others, you'd not know it had a prob.

Warranty ? Sorry, but by charging it, you've already voided the HC lipo warranty - if you want a chuckle, you should read the warranty, its on the site. The only way you can hope to make a claim is to check voltage on them right out of the box - then, if it's not right, you can request a RMA, which you'll prob get. You pay to ship it back and then they decide if you'll get to pay for shipping a replacement lipo. More times than not, I've seen the claim denied.

If you buy lipos from them, you have to assume lipo is either good or its trash - the way the lipo warranty is stacked. there really is no warranty.