Wiki Posts
Search

usps delivery delima

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default usps delivery delima

i shipped out two orion lipos on the 1st weekend of jan.The buyer did not get them.today i went to my mailbox and found a letter saying that my package showed up the destination but there were no items in the box.So i have a paper to state what was in the box and what it looked like to see if they can find them.So heres my problem,you are not suppost to ship batteries i guess,should i try and say they are somthing else other then batteries or just leave well enough alone since i dont even know if ill get them back anyways.I just dont wanna be fined.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i have received batteries from over seas in the past and had to problem, probably somebody swiped them. you need to file a claim with USPS, did you get insurance on your package???
Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxracer458
i shipped out two orion lipos on the 1st weekend of jan.The buyer did not get them.today i went to my mailbox and found a letter saying that my package showed up the destination but there were no items in the box.So i have a paper to state what was in the box and what it looked like to see if they can find them.So heres my problem,you are not suppost to ship batteries i guess,should i try and say they are somthing else other then batteries or just leave well enough alone since i dont even know if ill get them back anyways.I just dont wanna be fined.
What I would do is first ask them if there will be a fine associated with it if you were to claim it back. If there would be such a fine, see how much would it be. Then, from there, I think you'd find your answer...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think somebody might have gotten there hands on them !
I just placed an order on A-main this past week on monday and recieved it by thursday (Priority mail) and in the order was a Protek Lipo for 1/10th scale, and there was no problem what so ever !!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some online shops doesn't allow air ship of lipo batteries. Some do.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yep, somebody got some free Lipos...Had a buddy that ordered a custom upper/lower intake for his Mustang a few years back. Shipped via UPS, tracked it all the way to the local distribution center....but it was never checked in on the truck.....Some people just think it's easier to have stuff by stealing it rather than work for it.....

You can ship Lipos with USPS, I just received my 4S Turnigy Saturday via USPS. I have sent and receiver other batteries the same way. You just need to file a claim with the Post Office and go from there, hope you insured it.

For an example, when I was in South Korea I built a new computer. I upgraded my old computer and shipped to my wife to use. I had about $500 in it, so I insured it for that much. Well when she got it and tried to use it, it wouldn't work. She took it to a computer shop and they told her it was fried. More than likely things shook loose during shipping. She filed a claim with the USPS, and with not any hassle they paid up....
Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Where the ego's are so big, people's heads can't fit in the door
Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Paulk
Yep, somebody got some free Lipos...Had a buddy that ordered a custom upper/lower intake for his Mustang a few years back. Shipped via UPS, tracked it all the way to the local distribution center....but it was never checked in on the truck.....Some people just think it's easier to have stuff by stealing it rather than work for it.....

You can ship Lipos with USPS, I just received my 4S Turnigy Saturday via USPS. I have sent and receiver other batteries the same way. You just need to file a claim with the Post Office and go from there, hope you insured it.

For an example, when I was in South Korea I built a new computer. I upgraded my old computer and shipped to my wife to use. I had about $500 in it, so I insured it for that much. Well when she got it and tried to use it, it wouldn't work. She took it to a computer shop and they told her it was fried. More than likely things shook loose during shipping. She filed a claim with the USPS, and with not any hassle they paid up....

problem the OP has is the fact that he shipped lipo batteries illegally....

you can ship batteries/ lipos legally, you just need to let them know whats in the box and you will be paying extra/ ins... but guess what, if anything happens your fine.

sounds like to me he did none of the above and just shipped them out without telling the counter person... which is a HUGE no-no. if he goes to file any sort of claim he will be fined bigtime.

next time maybe read the posters that are slapped all over the walls when your standing in line at the post office, you may just learn something
Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chedda bob

you can ship batteries/ lipos legally, you just need to let them know whats in the box and you will be paying extra/ ins... but guess what, if anything happens your fine.

sounds like to me he did none of the above and just shipped them out without telling the counter person... which is a HUGE no-no. if he goes to file any sort of claim he will be fined bigtime.

next time maybe read the posters that are slapped all over the walls when your standing in line at the post office, you may just learn something
Pretty true... Now days you should know what you are shipping and if it's actually illegal. Anyone who has ordered a lipo off the internet knows the box is covered in at least 3 stickers in large letters letting you know there is a lipo in the box. One wrong toss from a pissed off UPS carrier and your lipo gets a nice big dent, 3 hours later while in flight to a UPS drop off location your lipo puffs and catches fire bringing down the 20 million dollar air liner, killing 4 members of the flight crew and costing millions in collateral damage from loss of life, property damage from the plane wreak. Which I should mention crashed into an school killing the entire 1st grade at Lakeview elementary (plus Mrs. Jamison who was 8 months prego with tripplets).

Hey it could happen!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Did you think maybe the post service just removed the batterys
because you didn't declare them? This is what might have happened
and they didn't fill out some forms that were suppose to be returned to you.
It might have went through a screening process and was found out in the scren process. Either way I call them and ask what hell you have to lose.
Just say you didn't realize that you needed to declare them and ask what happens then .

Dynodan22
Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was a mail man with the post office for quite some time. If you dont ask for insurance, pay for insurance, state what was in the package to the clerk at the counter to ensure its safe delievery its your fault.

If you would have paid the .90 cents for insurance, you wouldnt be having any issues. If your lipos damaged any postal equiptment, or hurt anyone if they caught fire, you will be fined.

Your best bet is to return the buyers money, and suck up the loss as a lesson learned.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My wife's head of a shipping dept in a large corp and informed me it is legal to ship lipo if they are labeled and declared as such as chedda bob said. You should have informed the counter person that the box contained radio control lithium polymer batteries.

From there versus what you did, I don't know how much more expensive it would have been - I have to pay a haz mat charge to get gunpowder and ammunition primers shipped (reloading for competition) and thats a flat $20 - I don't know if thats what you would have had to do or not.

I'd chalk it up as a learning experience and after explaining what happened to your buyer, refund his money.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chedda bob

well you got one thing right it is illegal... my dad and I up here in canada planned to come down to texas for the rcpro finals and had a hell of a time trying to figure out a way to get my lipo batteries down there that i use in my erevo. The thing is you cannot legally take a battery or batteries that are classified as a lipo battery on a plane, nor can you ship them through regular mail. The only legal way to do it is to either drive down taking them in your car, or shipping them as a dangerous good, which usually can cost more then what the batteries are worth. My understanding of it all is that all these hobby shops/companies or battery companies (maxamps) or whatever either have some sort of an agreement with there courier or just don't say anything and ship them through regular mail. I am also pretty sure when we were finding out information that the customs will infact take your batteries and hold them,and finally charge you too get them back if they catch you sending them through the mail.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sand viper
well you got one thing right it is illegal... my dad and I up here in canada planned to come down to texas for the rcpro finals and had a hell of a time trying to figure out a way to get my lipo batteries down there that i use in my erevo. The thing is you cannot legally take a battery or batteries that are classified as a lipo battery on a plane, nor can you ship them through regular mail. The only legal way to do it is to either drive down taking them in your car, or shipping them as a dangerous good, which usually can cost more then what the batteries are worth. My understanding of it all is that all these hobby shops/companies or battery companies (maxamps) or whatever either have some sort of an agreement with there courier or just don't say anything and ship them through regular mail. I am also pretty sure when we were finding out information that the customs will infact take your batteries and hold them,and finally charge you too get them back if they catch you sending them through the mail.
but hey that might only be for shipping across the border who knows.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

LOL no lipo's on a plane....What do you think is in EVERY Laptop, Cell Phone, Electric Razor's......you got it.......Lipo's or Li-ion.

How do you think the team Guys travel with their E gear....they sure don't buy new packs every time they go to a out of town race.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13556_3-9839984-61.html

Last edited by Integra; 01-24-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

my wife tried to mail them through a postal annex and they said nope you have to go through the post office,My wife told me the guy at the post office asked what they were and he sent them anyway,what i actually got in the mail was a letter from the post office and the orginal shipping label that my wife filled out and put on the box.So either the box opened up and there went the batteries or someone has them either way im out two lipos.I made good with the guy and sent him two more so im out 100 bucks.I think ill just take the loss since i dont wanna deal with any legal matters.Just adds to the bad luck ive been having these last two weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.