Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Stick pack to Flat pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Converting Stick pack to Flat pack?

Hi everyone,

I usually race a TA05 but finally got around to getting my TRF416 up and running.

My issue now is that I need flat pack style batteries.

I was just wondering is it easy enough to convert stick packs into flat packs or am I off better to just go out and buy new flat packs?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Generally the cells you get in a set that you build side by side are better than the cells in a stick pack, but rebuilding packs was always fun for me and will improve any stick pack drastically. If you have the money to pick up a set of nice loose cells I would definitely recommend it, but I would also recommend tearing your stick packs up and giving them a new breath on life too! At the least they will make good practice packs!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome! I will give it a go.

Are you able to point me in the right direction to get some info on how this may be achieved? My main concern is getting the cells apart...

Also, I will probably need to buy those battery plate things...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

It's easy and cheaper than buying a new pack. but like what burnineyes said buying a pack in loose cells is generally higher quality.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

you will need to cut the shrink off the pack, then there is usally brown paper wraping around 3 cells in length. Cut that off then you can just pull the cells apart. Try to get all the thin strips off of the + and - sides of the cells.
Yes, you will need some battery bars and some single cell shrink wrap. the wrap is to insulate the cells from each other because now they are bare metal.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Sweet! Thanks!

I'll give it a go, my main concern was always that I thought that 3 cells were soldered together, but I guess they come apart pretty easily.

and I m guessing at the end just hook the red wire to the positive, and the black wire to the negative.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The cells will be held together by thin metal tabs that are simply folded up in between them. Tear them off and clean up the spot welds with a dremel or rough sandpaper. You will need some pretty good soldering skills along with a decent iron to get it done right, but if you are confident then it will be easy enough. You may also look into a jig from Deans, it makes life much easier. But I always had good luck simply laying the cells out and gluing them together before soldering it up. Like someone else said get some cell shrink wrap to protect the cells before assembling.

This is a pretty good step by step I found, but its pretty old so the pictures are not up anymore. Also not every step or tool listed is necessary, some of it is for style or luxury.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37810
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thank for the link! Wished the pictures were still there...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

In this how-to the pics are still there -

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=481

I've only seen cells soldered end to end for pacs made specifically for RC boats - there are stick pacs assembled this way - those you have to break apart. I have a special soldering head that does it, but have never used it since I run side-by-side so I can use a discharge tray for better pac performance.

Use a pr of needle nose pliers to wind off that metal tab that usually connects cells end to end. One side usually will pull off, the other usually needs pliers to wind it off.

Use an iron with enough watts and big enough tip to get the job done quickly. You want to be on and off the cells with the heat as fast as you can cause excess heat will damage the cells. I've see guys build great looking packs that were so damaged they had almost no capacity.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I do the conversion all the time. Sometimes you can find some really, really cheap stick packs...

Just make sure to get some high quality battery bars, wires, and also shrink wrap for the assembled cells.

Cut out little "windows" over each end of the battery once you have the shrink wrap over it if you're going to use an equalizer tray...