Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
12th scale is unresponsive, need help!! >

12th scale is unresponsive, need help!!

12th scale is unresponsive, need help!!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default 12th scale is unresponsive, need help!!

Hey guys, ive been busy for the past few months, being a junior in high school and such (important year for colleges) so i havent really done much in rc since last spring. Well, before then i just finished getting my BMI DB12R ready. Dont laugh, but it has just a regular hara twister 2.2 esc, brushed (yes brushed) stock motor, and 4600 nimh (not lipo) batteries. Well ive only run it about 6 times or so and today i cycle the battery, charge it up and when i turn it on, it feels like theres no power being brought to it, the servo isnt responsive and the motor makes a sound like it wants to turn but it doesnt. I would really need some help as to whats wrong. Is it the battery? (the battery's new as the car, and only been cycled half a dozen times if that). Before we get into brushless/ lipo debate, RC technology moves fast, and in the month that i got everything for it, the 1/12 class completely changed. What i have is good enough for what i want to do (have fun) so i never got around to just spending more money on a new setup just to replace one that i never used. Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

bump, what the hell, does Rctech shun me or something? i cant get a response in both the onroad section and this one
Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I could be a variety of issues. First, make sure all of your solder joints are clean and properly made. Second, take the motor out of the car and make sure the bushings are clean and oiled and that the motor spins without drama. Third, check that the ESC is properly setup as well as your radio.

Also find out if you need a booster and/or receiver battery for that ESC. It simply might not have enough power to supply it.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My guess is the battery. NiMH don't like sitting. If your charger will do it, cycle it a couple times and it might come back.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
My guess is the battery. NiMH don't like sitting. If your charger will do it, cycle it a couple times and it might come back.
yeah i think thats the problem, i let it sit for a month or two and im gonna try to cycle it a few times to see if that does anything. I dont think the esc needs a booster because it worked before perfectly, but now its a vegetable =( The solder joints are all clean and good, so i dont think that would be it.