Wiki Posts
Search

Hyperion/Lipo ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Hyperion/Lipo ??

I've got 2 lipos that on when charged on my Hyperion are at the following when done charging.

97% and 19ohms resistance, the other is 95% and 18ohms. Thier voltage is a little low also, ~8.37v

Are these packs getting tired or what?

others show some ohms when done but don't stop untill 100% and show a full 8.4v

Thanks guys,

~this ones right up your alley Duster

Last edited by racer1812; 09-06-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: didn't realize I've had them as long as I have
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I assume you mean milliohms - 18 and 19 ohms would be huge for a lipo (even a NiMH). These are still big IRs even at mohms.

Seriously, I think you're seeing them age, poss normally for the lipo generation they come from (particular lipo chemical makeup). The other poss is that this is some slight accumulated damage and you've lost a small percentage of the media as far as it charging and discharging.

My IPs show 3mohms IR and my Neus show 2mohms, but they're young with less than 20cycles. Do you charge them fully after using and they then sit until the next use? I know we've discussed that's prob not the best thing to be doing for lipo life. Mine don't sit fully charged anymore, I've changed that.

You never really know how long these sat somewhere and this vintage or generation lipo was supposed to be good for about 2yrs and then head downhill due to aging of the media regardless of cycles. These are not date stamped, at least where we can see it, and that may be whats happening. Its hard to point at one factor and know for sure. I know you use good equip and don't abuse them, so it maybe something inherent to their vintage.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I assume you mean milliohms - 18 and 19 ohms would be huge for a lipo (even a NiMH). These are still big IRs even at mohms.

Seriously, I think you're seeing them age, poss normally for the lipo generation they come from (particular lipo chemical makeup). The other poss is that this is some slight accumulated damage and you've lost a small percentage of the media as far as it charging and discharging.

My IPs show 3mohms IR and my Neus show 2mohms, but they're young with less than 20cycles. Do you charge them fully after using and they then sit until the next use? I know we've discussed that's prob not the best thing to be doing for lipo life. Mine don't sit fully charged anymore, I've changed that.

You never really know how long these sat somewhere and this vintage or generation lipo was supposed to be good for about 2yrs and then head downhill due to aging of the media regardless of cycles. These are not date stamped, at least where we can see it, and that may be whats happening. Its hard to point at one factor and know for sure. I know you use good equip and don't abuse them, so it maybe something inherent to their vintage.
+1 on all of it.

Ya I meant milliohms, as in that goofy little symbol on the Hyperion, I'm not good with all that lingo.

I try not to leave them full, it only happens if we get rained out after I charged them the day before, otherwise I racem and put them away. Still way above 6v, when I charge them the next week they're all around 7.3v-7.8v. I'm thinking like you that it's more of an age thing as 1 was slightly used when I got it and the other one I got LAST spring and I know it sat on the shelf for a LONG time like 8+ months or so but I got a real good deal on it so all is well. Even after sitting on the shelf that long the voltage was still over 8v. When I got it, I think.

They'll turn into practice packs I guess and I'll jump on the big C rating band wagon..Don't like to hear about SMC's having problems though as those are/were my next choice
A born on date would be nice just like on my beer..rofl
Thanks Duster