Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery Problem?

Good morning. I have a Venom 7.2v 3300mah NIHM battery pack that I've succesfully charged and run about 5 times at 4amps, as suggested by my LHS, since I got it over the last few days without any problems. Today I hooked it up to my charger from the last time I ran it. It's charging for all of 45 seconds before my charger detects that its peaked. So I hooked it up to my truck and lifted the back wheels and ran it all the way down. I hooked it back up after that and I'm still getting a peak detected in about 45 seconds. I've checked the fuses on my charger and everything is fine. Any ideas as to whats going on? Is my battery pack toast?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Guessing its just a false peak. If the batt is not getting hot when it peaks, just restart the charge. If your charger has a peak delay setting, set it at 5min and see if that helps.

What do you have the peak sensitivity set at? Using one thats a little higher may help as well.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Prophet Plus charger, it doesnt have a peak detection delay. I normally charge it at 4amps. I read somewhere to let it trickle for 10 minutes then repeak it at a lower amp rating which I've tried to no avail. Everytime I reset the charge to peak again it still peaks in about 45 seconds and goes into a trickle charge which I then unhook it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had trouble with a prophet plus false peaking also, and it turned out to be the tamiya connectors on the charge lead. Replacing it with a deans connector solved the problem. I've also circiumvented the issue repeatedly by just restarting the charge several times until it finally gives in and finished the pack.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm assuming this Venom pack is a stick pack? Take a volt meter and test the voltage of the pack.. if it is reading less than 6 volts.. you may have a bad cell... unfortunately, Venom is not know for quality.. in any case, stick packs are difficult to maintain. NiMh can be flakey sometimes.. especially if you are not equalizing cells...

Jerome