servo burn out

Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry servo burn out

Have been having the worst luck with ht225mg , ht225bb as well as ht645mg servos this year.

One boat has gone threw 3 of the 225mgs so far this year. Just built another boat and had the same issue happen with it . Have also had 3 645's go out on friends and my boats 225 are used for thodle and 645's for rudder.

Had 2 225's burn out just yesterday on two different boats. One boat just hit the water that day. Other had already had servo replaced twice. All servos were new when they went into the boats. Like some others I buy more than what I need at one time and have spares on hand.

Have some sent in for repair at HiFlight ( Canadian repair center )
power for servos is 6v 1400ma packs.

Linkages are set to not overstress servo throw.
Radio is a futaba 3pjs for both boats.
No bind in linkages.
mounted with groumits onto aluminum L brackets
using this style of mounting servos for years with no problem.
Boats are gas powered

Worst thing is some of the servos have date code ging past 2 years and bought at hobby show.

What to do to increase reliability of of the 225's as they are my main concern right now as they are not holding up.

Need same size foot print as all radioboxs are custom built.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What's going on with em? Is the motor actually getting smoked or is it a gear issue? Sounds like it might be a waterproofing issue to me. I run 225bb and MGs in all my Vendettas and beat em hard with no problems. Do you have room to run a small saver if it is a drivetrain problem?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Rookie

It is a motor issue as there is no stress on the linkage.

Had another one burn out on me today in my gas mono. Have adjusted the epa to make sure servo is not over stroking.

As for water I can understand if one burns out yet having a total of 6 servos burn out in 3 different boats and have one go down in less than a tank of fuel on a new build. Servos are in a watertight box.

Now I have three boats down waiting on new servos, It is weird to have it happen in three different installs and all around the same time.

Never had the need to use a servo saver on older builds with a standard servo . with a push open and spring closeon the return Rod is attached to the servo and moves a lever to open the carb by pushing on a bellcrank to change directional movement and the torque of the 225 is 1.5x what I had used in other setups.

There must be a reason they are burning out on me.

One caused a dead short after it died ( no power in rx or servos ) untill bad servo was unpluged from the rx and then everything else worked fine.

Just looking for answers to my delema.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry

Just found out that HiFLIGHT misplaces my package sent to them.

They never even entered it into there system, package signed for on June 2

After a week of phone calls they found it, Now since the time they received it and now they nolonger do service work. They are forwarding it to hitec yet I am still waiting.... Just a sorry from them, They would not even offer any compinsation for the delay. Time wasted sending it to them!
I will never be ordering from them and will be letting all know how they operate.

They are also moving in the next two weeks and this is also might be how they found my package ( most likly thrown into a corner and forgotten)never cleaned there shop.

Oh how they just find it now after I called an waited for them to return my call each day for the week.

Don't order from HiFLIGHT they give bad service