Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Eneloop AA batteries

I have found that these things are amazing

11.00 for a four pack - these will outlast your radio

http://www.batteryjunction.com/enelo...-nimh-lsd.html

# Immediately usable new rechargeable battery
# Sanyo Eneloop Batteries can replace alkaline batteries for all your needs and can be used in any application where AA batteries are needed.
# Extremely Low Self Discharge high performance even at low temperatures down to 10 °C during your winter vacation
# No Memory Effect - Recharge at any time.
# An Environmentally-friendly product right from the battery to the packaging
# Comparatively more powerful and longer-lasting than dry cell batteries and superior low-temperature electrical discharge performance
# Can be charged up to a 1000 times.
# Economically more efficient than dry cell batteries, ‘eneloop’ can be used 1000*1 times over. Also, no need to worry about memory effect .
# eneloop is a state of the art Ni-MH battery which can be charged like any other Ni-MH battery.
# Can be charged by using any good quality NiMH Battery Charger.
# Dimensions: 14.35 mm (diameter) X 50.4 mm (height)
# Weight: Approximately 27g
# Warranty: 1 Year by Sanyo
# Mfrs PN: HR-3UTG-4BP, GES-HR3UTG-4BP
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default These are fantastic!

My oldest ones are four years old and I've only damaged one of them by leaving it too long (at least several months) in a device in a discharged state. It's damaged as I've been unable to charge it in the typical AA / AAA type chargers.

I first found these in Circuit City and Best Buy but I couldn't find them anymore two years ago until I came across them at Costco sold in a blue case for $25 (the best price I've seen for this bundle).

The bundle contains: 4x AAA, 8x AA, the open face charger version*, and C and D shells. The shells allow you to use the AAAs (never tried it myself) in devices requiring C or D cells.

*The open face charger version is not as nice as the version that includes a sliding cover. The open face version requires two or four cells to be charged at a time where the covered version can charge the cells individually as well as any combination. There were some bundles sold with the covered version but I got my covered versions back when I would purchase these in a blister pack 4 cells plus the charger.

I typically use these in my media remotes and wireless console controllers (Wii) but last night I put them in my kids Slash transmitters.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Going to try some when I need additional. The drawback I see righjt now is teh loss in capacity with this type cell. Ordinary NiMh AAs are up around 2700, the eneloop types are 2000mah. Same kind of step down for AAAs.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

anyone know what's the max charge rate for these batts?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am not sure about the max charge rate, but you can use any charger that is designed for rechargables.
I use a cell pro multi 4 for my lipos, It automatically senses what kind and size of battery I plug in and charges at the factory settings. I'll check what its charging at when I plug in the eneloop's.

As far as being 2000's, My radio (M8) since putting in the eneloops has lasted 5 months, I have used in the last half of the indoor season and 2 big races (2 day events) and it runs 3 cars. Im close to 180 minutes on the run timer- It is not even close to time to charge yet. I wait until it goes to 1 bar left on the fuel gauge. I bet I get 8 months on 1 charge... 999 to go.
I like the fact that you can charge these up and a year later (I don't know why anyone would wait a year to race.) but they will still hold 85% of the charge while any other re-chargable will be dead.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you're using AAs a lot, using them fairly often, the capacity drop is a bigger issue than the self discharge, its a 25+% drop in capacity compared to a 2700mah. Using them infrequently, the self discharge issue is the bigger deal.

I use mine every day, so ordinary AAs are not getting much chance to self discharge. I want to try some, but will wait and see where they go with capacity - I need to use up the ones I've got.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

These are great battery's I use them in for my camera's flash and they are the best. They beat any of the AA battery's out there.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use them on my Futaba 2PL and they're great... seem to last forever