Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
M8 Radio, Module and Receiver Question >

M8 Radio, Module and Receiver Question

M8 Radio, Module and Receiver Question

Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default M8 Radio, Module and Receiver Question

Hi All, been out of the hobby since 2002 and I'm quickly learning the technology has improved greatly. Okay, so j just bought an M8 which was new, it just didn't come with a receiver, and the module is 27mhz. I'm looking at getting a new module/receiver set, but I do not have a great local place to purchase, so I will be having everything shipped in.

My question is two fold, first, are all M8's generally identical? Meaning, does the fact that the current module is fm 27mhz have anything to do with the radio itself? I'm assuming they are interchangeable, I just wanted to make sure they are not am/fm or 27/75 MHz specific.

One last request, I've briefly read up on 2.4g modules, these are new to me and just want to see if I could be pointed the right direction on what setup for this radio ya'll would suggest. I used to run the Novck switch and xxtra Fm 75, but have been reading about the Spektrum get-up, which is new since I last raced. Any pros and cons of either from anyone? I appreciate any input. Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
CL
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrGreeneJeans View Post
Hi All, been out of the hobby since 2002 and I'm quickly learning the technology has improved greatly. Okay, so j just bought an M8 which was new, it just didn't come with a receiver, and the module is 27mhz. I'm looking at getting a new module/receiver set, but I do not have a great local place to purchase, so I will be having everything shipped in.

My question is two fold, first, are all M8's generally identical? Meaning, does the fact that the current module is fm 27mhz have anything to do with the radio itself? I'm assuming they are interchangeable, I just wanted to make sure they are not am/fm or 27/75 MHz specific.

One last request, I've briefly read up on 2.4g modules, these are new to me and just want to see if I could be pointed the right direction on what setup for this radio ya'll would suggest. I used to run the Novck switch and xxtra Fm 75, but have been reading about the Spektrum get-up, which is new since I last raced. Any pros and cons of either from anyone? I appreciate any input. Thanks
There are different versions of M8, but Airtronic modules on the M8 are compatible.

I'm using Spektrum module and receiver on my M8, and it's working great. On of the pros is no more freq. conflict. Horizon Hobby has Spektrum module & receiver Pro system for $100.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks CL, I appreciate the input. Anyone know of any other brands or companies that make a comparable module/receiver setup? Thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MrGreeneJeans View Post
Thanks CL, I appreciate the input. Anyone know of any other brands or companies that make a comparable module/receiver setup? Thanks
Airtronics .....
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Airtronics .....
Not to hijack, but I have a quick question:

If I have the Airtronics FHSS-2 2.4GHz system, can I use Spectrum receivers too, or am I limited to just Airtronics receivers?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

GTX - Its a different technology, Airtronics is FHSS, Spektrum is DSM. So no.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ah, I see. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can also find Airtronic DSS modules and receivers made for the M11 are also compatible with the M8. The Airtronics DSS and FHSS-2 are different than the Spektrum setup. The receivers are also more expensive to buy if you are planning on running more than one vehicle.

Jerome