Wiki Posts
Search

Esc cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Esc cutting out

I have a B44 with a Novak Havoc 8.5 brushless system powered by a Protek R/c 3800 mAh 15c lipo. I use a Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz radio.

The issue is that, seemingly randomly, the esc cuts power to the motor (steering still works) for a few seconds and then it comes back. Sometimes I can go a full battery without any issues. Usually I have more issues a few minutes into the run but then they go away again after time passes. As the battery pack nears empty the frequency of cutting out does not increase.. it may even decrease.

The issues originated when I drove my buggy in cold weather - like 20-30 degrees (basically first time driving it). But.. they continued as the temperature increased to the 50's and today when the temperature was about 75. Today, for about 5 minutes, the esc cut power about ever 10 seconds - then it turns back on after a few seconds. The motor/esc were pretty hot during this period, even tho I was not pushing the car very hard.

About half an hour later (and the battery was about half depleted) the issues went away. I was able to drive ten full minutes - ten FAST laps using all of the motors/escs/batteries ability - and it didn't cut out at all. Also after this ten minutes the motor/esc weren't hot at all (ambient temperature did not decrease, tho).

I don't understand what the problem could be. Any suggestions? I don't want to buy a new, or more expensive battery pack unless necessary.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Seems like this is a common problem, especially with the first batch of the Havoc systems. A handful of folks I know had the same problem with various motors.

You need to send it in to Novak. They have excellent customer service and will take care of you!

Jerome
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
You need to send it in to Novak. They have excellent customer service and will take care of you!

Jerome
Yeah send it back to Novak, they will do a software upgrade and get it back to you ASAP.
You just need to fill out a warranty form, they're on their website.

There is a whole thread on the Novak Havoc problems.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Interesting. Any idea on the turn around time for something like this? I'd really rather not have to send in my esc now cuz the race season is just starting and I'd miss a lot...

An update tho - I drove my B44 today for about 25 good minutes with no troubles. Can't be certain if it's fixed or anything.. just strange..

What thread were you referring too?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Rookie

just out of curiosity, would it be possible that you need a BEC? I had the same problem on my crawler where the steering servo was killing my esc. If i'd bind the wheels up on a rock and try to turn the wheels, the esc would turn off on me for a couple seconds. As soon as i installed a castle BEC my power problems went away. had many friends with the same problem. we all have becs now

I'm not saying to buy a bec, but if you have one lying around or a friend that has one, it's a cheap 20$ alternative to sending it in and hoping ya get it back before summer's over...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would somewhat doubt the BEC theory.. Since the servo I use isn't particularly high draw (less so than my brother's servo w/same esc/motor) and there are issues regardless of if I'm even using the servo much.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

You need to send it back. Mine was less than 2 weeks so I only missed 1 weekend of racing. THis is a know common problem with the lipo cutoff and was very intermittant sometimes making 2-3 heats then cutoff at the start of the main. You will miss a lot more racing if you don't get it fixed.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

novak is very aware of the problem and have taken steps to fix it. its a software issue nothing else. it just needs to be reprogrammed. send it in and they will fix it just be sure to tell them what its doing.get the warranty form from their site