Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
ESC Lipo cutoff, is it really necessary? >

ESC Lipo cutoff, is it really necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC Lipo cutoff, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? ESC Lipo cutoff, is it really necessary?

I'm using Losi Lipo batteries and I was told they have Low Voltage Cutoff built-in.
If thats the case, is it necessary to get Lipo cutoff on my ESC?

I want to keep my ESC in Nimh setting because I use both Lipo and Nimh batteries and it is tedious to switch the cutoff setting back and forth. Furthermore, the Lipo setting of my ESC seems to cutoff way too early.
Am I taking too much risk here?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yumyum
I'm using Losi Lipo batteries and I was told they have Low Voltage Cutoff built-in.
If thats the case, is it necessary to get Lipo cutoff on my ESC?

I want to keep my ESC in Nimh setting because I use both Lipo and Nimh batteries and it is tedious to switch the cutoff setting back and forth. Furthermore, the Lipo setting of my ESC seems to cutoff way too early.
Am I taking too much risk here?
How do your batteries have a "built in" voltage cuttoff?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I just looked on Losi's website and the only lipo batteries that I found with an LVC are the receiver pack batteries. The other batteries specifically say "Charge Protection Circuitry: No" whereas the receiver pack they have listed says "Yes".

So it would be wise to run an LVC even when using Losi packs. Personally, I would look elsewhere. Losi packs are overpriced.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

If you don't want to use the lipo cutoff, just make sure you top off the battery after every race. A lot of guys running spec Slashs and lipo do this, and they never seem to have a problem.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I still run a stock brushed 27t in my buggy with a Novak GTX and 3200 LiPo. What I do is just run a practice as I do with racing.. 6-7 min is no problem for a 3200. I see a lot of SLASH guys doing the same as well.

Jerome
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I balance charge every battery I have every time.

You would be surprised to see how much of a variance there is between the cells. Most of the time the difference is negligible, however, there have been occurances where the delta was nearly .5V.

I found that balance charging takes just a little longer than straight charging.

Just about all Lipo batteries have balance taps nowadays. It was true that older packs may not have a tap and I have an old Thunder Power pack that doesn't have one. (I don't use it anymore because it was old and I tossed it to be safe.)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, got off topic on my previous post.

Regarding cut-offs. If you are racing they may not be needed if you have enough discipline to pull off during practice and make sure your batteries are always topped off. Even then you will mess up and take a partially charged pack and run it below safe levels.

One or two puffed lipos that cost over $100 each will train you. Problem is that all the new hard case packs hide any puffed cell so you don't know it's gone until too late.

I have a regulator cut-off in my 1/8 so I don't burn out the servos and or blow the Rx pack. I remove it from the buggy when charging or storage, never leave it connected.

Mostly use "common sense" when dealing with Lipos.